BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

complete loss of power on 1.6 engine conversion stuck on site!!

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2019 09:58 #214655 by invincible
hello all, back in the dark with jimny! i was driving to site today to the bilsdale mast and felt a gradual loss of power, then to the point would hardly rev or move even in 1st gear, she just seems to rev to 3000rpm max and then stutters, someone suggested disconnecting the battery to see if it makes a difference, it looking like an AA tow home job, whats the deal with towing her back not do with rear wheels on ground in neutral
it says in manual ???? any help guys much appreciated, cheers in advance Liam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2019 13:13 #214661 by facade
The AA will just lift the back wheels on that spectacle frame thing and tow it home on the fronts.

No idea what is wrong, but sounds fuel related-

blocked exhaust/catalyst
low fuel pressure- pump worn out, regulator gone, blocked filter, no vent to tank

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Oct 2019 07:58 #214688 by kirkynut
If you disconnect the battery you'll lose and codes that might help you.

Try it now it's cold.

Did the AA give any diagnosis? Or fix it?

A reluctance to rev could be a blocked cat. If it starts ok once exhaust pressure has got past it and reduced but dies when it builds back up it could be that.

Similarly it could be the crank/cam sensor. These sometimes work ok again when they cool down and pouring cold water on them when the issue arises can make them work again to aid diagnosis

This all depends upon it starting though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2019 11:18 #214736 by GF68
Sounds like the Coil Pack problem I had.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2019 08:24 #214777 by invincible
now then gents, yes problem solved! wow, AA guy was v switched on used to work with WRX ralley team, he had lower cat of in 45 seconds! on off 4 times,lower cat was blocked with parts of the upper cat, cleared that and still a bit ruff,smashed my brand new bottom cat out at my request and wow rev tastic! completely cleared and i guess it was the problem on the 1.3 engine before i swapped it out to 1.6, as we swapped both cats over. after 1.5 hrs stuck on a farm dirt track i was away again. he did say most would have just towed you home for me to get it sorted. gave him some brass for beer and off i went, its never run so well, a bit too well i had my first back end kick out on a corner which made arse twitch a bit.!
thanks for all help and replies, sorted in the end , cheers guys.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2019 11:29 #214789 by Daniel30
Brilliant and how cool was that AA man :woohoo:

More
21 Oct 2019 09:01 #214996 by kirkynut
Nice to know I'm not losing my touch then!

Similarly I had work colleague's Mondeo round the other day with an EML on and a code for Cat efficiency and days left of MOT. It had been running rough but suddenly started running fine.

I think the Cat had blocked and cleared itself but the MOT centre had to drive it outside hard to get the Cat hot enough to pass the emmisions test.

They were ready to start throwing a coilpack at it and all sorts!

I also had to make a bonnet opening tool for it as the key under the badge affair had broken. I ground down a socket extension to the square shape to fit what was left of the mechanism.

That AA man sounds awesome! Luck of the draw but your luck was in. Go and buy a lottery ticket in case you still have some!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds