BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brake caliper rust and paint

More
10 Oct 2019 13:35 #214564 by Bosanek
The brake calipers on my 7-year old Jimny 3 are completely and severely rusted.

Is that normal for 7 year old factory fitted brake calipers?

Which paint would be recommended as a durable solution after cleaning the rust off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Oct 2019 16:00 #214572 by Lambert
Yes perfectly normal. Though I did replace mine at 8 years old as the rust had migrated into the slides for the bolts and I was stripping them and cleaning them almost every month towards the end. As for paint any Very High Temperature paint will work but honestly I don't see much point. Painted calipers are only ever vaguely suited to Porsche cars with carbon ceramic brakes and then not really.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Oct 2019 18:24 #214573 by Max Headroom
Used THIS stuff on my SAAB calipers and it stayed on superbly.

If you go down this route, I would suggest cleaning and degreasing, and de-rusting as much as possible before using the can of pre-cleaner provided.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
10 Oct 2019 19:12 - 10 Oct 2019 19:13 #214578 by Scimike
+1 for the above product ^^^^^^^^
Sure I obtained from a local Eurocarparts when one of their never ending sales was favourable for paint products. It's on my Jimny and it's lasting quite well. Cutting the rust back (but not removing totally) takes the time, application and drying times are quick. Used about a 1/4 of a can on the two calipers. You can't really see the results on a Jimny which is fine so long as your aim is to hold back the rust and make working on the brakes a little cleaner next time.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 19:13 by Scimike.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 20:51 #214583 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Brake caliper rust and paint
Hammerite silver smooth is just as good.

More
12 Oct 2019 20:13 #214680 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Brake caliper rust and paint
Or get them professionally rebuilt at say www.biggreddemo.auto-guru.uk/ then you know they’ll work and last for years
Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

More
13 Oct 2019 07:36 #214686 by kirkynut
You might have surface rust on the actual calipers and the sliders need cleaning and freeing, then re-greasing with red rubber grease.

Occasionally the calipers seize but not often.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds