BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1999 Jimny JLX Blown Head gasket

More
30 Nov 2019 11:52 #216081 by Reason2doubt
Sorry you are having so many troubles - keep us up to date :) Be good to know how you get on seeing as I went through this not too long ago.

I do recall getting my head skimmed with the new gasket so that sounds like a solid plan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2019 14:44 #216088 by kirkynut
I cannot believe he didn't skim the head! The block should be flat though but it sounds like someone with more knowledge than I has found it's not.

Skimming both will increase the combustion ratio quite a bit but this could be taken up with a thicker gasket.

Payen gaskets are supposed to be the best aftermarket ones.

The head bolts need to he torqued down in a set order and in stages. Otherwise the head will warp. Surely the previous guy did that right?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 07:51 #216107 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic 1999 Jimny JLX Blown Head gasket
Hi KirkyNut , Its hard to know whether it was skimmed in the first place, seems like the proper thing to do if your doing a engine recond would be to skim the head and block mating surface. I did have an overheating episode, popped the top hose, so that definitely either caused or exacerbated it.

I don't like the lies of them saying there is / was nothing wrong, They agreed to take it as a warranty issue, (which I found means nothing) so at the time I didn't test, tamper or repair anything as the warranty becomes void. But now that I know they don't honour warranty it up to me to try and salvage it .

I have a mechanical background (Industrial and Outdoor power equipment), so did the CO2 chemical test and radiator / cooling sys pressure test both of which highlighted a problem we call a blown head gasket which can be a generic term for a number of problems in that area. I was losing coolant ,no external leaks.

The head is being assessed at a head reconditioning place, they will do the usual checks and skim it if its a good candidate, He said he has seen a couple Jimnys with cracked heads which appeared around those top welsh plugs on the head. Theres 3 there from memory. I looked those over but couldn't see any cracks which is positive . To confirm it after taking rocker cover off , can do a pressure test and watch those areas for any coolant leakage. I'll wait for the prognosis from the expert next week.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 07:58 #216108 by Owl
I should have mentioned I did a number of checks with a flat rule and feeler gauge on the block mating surface , and found there I could easily slip 0.06" through around the centre of the block face. The mechanic said he might be able to remove some of the high spots by hand but I'll wait for his opinion when he measures it up.

More
01 Dec 2019 08:23 #216110 by kirkynut
I think I'd prefer to have the block machined flat. You know it's proper flat then and 0.06" is nothing in terms of how the car will run with it removed but enough to cause sealing issues.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 09:53 #216114 by Owl
I agree KirkyNut, Would be nice to have a machined block surface which means engine removal and dismantling...….again. I'm not going there for this one. Project ends there. Engine has been out twice and gearbox out 3 times in 2019. Ill have to suck it up as an expensive fail.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2019 11:09 #216115 by Lambert
Like I said earlier drop in a 1.6 out of a liana.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds