BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1999 Jimny JLX Blown Head gasket

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2019 23:54 #214385 by Owl
Hello, G13BB SOHC Engine

Popped a pin hole top radiator hose, engine overheated, had CO2 radiator test shows gases coming through, leaking head gasket. Engine was rebuilt 2000kms ago, no engine hoses were changed out?

Although this is an obvious loss of coolant problem, Are these Jimnys generally stable in the head gasket area, running them at 3500rpm on highway (90kms per hr) is pretty high rpm for sustained driving kinda worries me.

Is the head gasket on the G13BB engine a problem in these engines? Are they usually stable over the years? Is there anything I should be looking for as ill be doing the job myself? I will take the head in for skimming and crack assessment and valve testing. Head was reconditioned couple months ago.

Look forward to any advice. Owl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2019 00:13 - 07 Oct 2019 00:16 #214386 by Reason2doubt
Going off the history of my car which is extremely detailed - it's had two in it's lifetime (1999). One in 2008 and one just a few months ago (I bought it and changed it out of caution) - the one that was fitted in 2008 didn't seem to have any issues however so no doubt there was a bit more life in the gasket.

I used a kit off ebay and replaced a load of other bits in the rocker cover - I will say that the kit itself is a bit shite as the gaskets and other bits 'just fit' - they are close enough to fit, but just too poorly manufactured to fit properly. If you have the opportunity I would recommend a suzuki one out of convenience.

I hate revving mine past 3500. Been a long time diesel driver and this sounds aweful. Everyone keeps telling me that 3500rpm is fine though, so I'm getting into the habit of turning the radio up enough to drown out the engine scream and it's been running fine, if anything, it's got a bit more "go" at that rpm anyhow.

I got my head skimmed at the same time by a local garage. I was also recommended to buy new cylinder head bolts as apparently they can sometimes elongate a little with the heat and force - don't know if that is true or not, but for £15 I got some new ones of ebay just in case.

Hope some of that is useful!
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 00:16 by Reason2doubt.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 01:37 #214389 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic 1999 Jimny JLX Blown Head gasket
Thanks R-2doubt. 3500+rpm in these Aussie summers?, i dont think it will handle it but time will tell. I have to keep it for a couple years if possible as I've put too much into it. Thanks, about the head bolts, prob a good idea to get new ones, as I think the engine builder i used wouldn't have even used a torque wrench anyway and just bolted it up - tight. Rough as gutz! Will never use him again. I think the car is more suited for a small town city driving, or on a farm property, the highway i think will take this engine out in Aussie conditions. Or have I just had bad luck so far?

Ill price and source a genuine head and rocker gasket, not sure it would be good if Suzuki did a VRS kit, should get all the gaskets needed. i agree, the aftermarket kits a hit and miss unless you know which brands are the good ones.

Anyone know an aftermarket reputable VRS gasket kit for G13BB? If i buy it from the head services shop you'd hope they will sell you a decent kit. If i can get genuine at a reasonable price ill definately go that way.

i found from my experiences that aftermarket gaskets and those rocker cover rubber blocks and gaskets are made to a price and won't last long. A few years if your lucky. Oil seals , Ive learned the hard way with those, just pay extra and use good genuine seals if there's a lot of labour to get to them. Interestingly the tow truck driver who is a mechanic, and the mechanic who looked over my jimny says the later modern vehicles generally have less problems with head gasket failure, more computer, sensor and electricals.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Oct 2019 04:08 #214390 by Lambert
I don't have direct experience with the g series but they are generally very reliable and like the m series are designed for sustained periods of high rpm. Both these engines are small capacity petrol engines and the only way they are ever going to make power and torque is by using revs, its just how they work.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 07:44 #214395 by Owl
Thanks Lambert, I hope your right, otherwise I'll be wrecking it for parts. Gearbox is reconditioned, as good as new should be worth a bit.

More
07 Oct 2019 08:07 #214396 by mlines
The G13BB engines have a bit of a reputation of an oilway near No.4 Cylinder (rear of engine) blocking up causing local overheating and even camshaft failure. The local overheating distorts the head. I recommend frequent oil changes with good quality oil and the engine then seems to last forever.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Owl

More
07 Oct 2019 09:45 #214402 by Reason2doubt
Interesting... I'll take that advice! :) Cheers Martin

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 09:56 #214406 by Owl
Thanks Martin, just wondering if the engine came out of a I think its an acid bath rinse , in the reconditioning process, that oil gallery should be cleaned. Or do they need to physically attend to cleaning the oil well? I guess Ill be able to see when i take the head off, maybe tomorrow. Steve

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2019 07:09 #214459 by Owl
For those interested, I know I said i wouldn't do it, but the engine builder has contacted me and said he would take the Jimny in as a warranty repair. I just hope he does a good job with it. I was just loading my tool caddy and cleared the benches and was going to pull down the top end and the phone rang and he said he'd organise a tow truck as well. Geez i hope I did the right thing. Owl.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2019 09:04 - 15 Oct 2019 09:09 #214781 by Owl
Got the Jimny back, seems to run ok, The idle hangs a bit longer than before, but its not bad. Once at operating temp it drops rpm quite quickly as it should. Vacuum leak? Don't know...yet.

The mechanic didn't say anything , just handed keys over and said 'right to go mate'. he replaced top hose with a donor hose from another vehicle mentioned parts not available. I phoned my people and ordered a complete set of hoses.

Ordered new cooling system hoses and a new fan clutch. I have a new radiator which may or may not fit, it was purchased as the correct fitment but when engine was fitted they didn't fit it mentioning 'it doesnt fit'. had a close look today, the mounts look right to me?? Ill try it and see. With Summer getting close, temps to reach 40 celsius and maybe more, at least i can say the cooling system was serviced.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2019 09:09 by Owl. Reason: More info.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2019 06:27 #216057 by Owl
Update for whoever interested: Engine definitely has / or still has a blown head gasket. Original engine builder once again sent me away with the big warranty lie. Ive taken head off, sure enough can see the blowby on the edge of pot 3. Head gasket was dodgy quality for sure. Very thin. My wafer biscuits are thicker than that.

Head is off spec for flatness, so is the block. Ive got a mechanic coming (this time a reputable engine reconditioner), out to assess whether he can take down the high spots on the block, Never ends!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Nov 2019 09:08 #216060 by Lambert
Is it time to consider a 1.6 swap, given that the engine you have sounds tired?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds