BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Screeching Fan Belt

More
02 Oct 2019 12:48 #214172 by bryn
Screeching Fan Belt was created by bryn
Lots of screeching when I set off now winter is on its way and the heater/lights are on when I set off. The belts don’t seem overly slack and so I will probably change them for Martins Generic Belts. Is it worth changing the crank shaft pulley at the same time, as the rad has to come off anyways. I have a 2007 standard Jimny.

Much Appreciated
bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 13:22 - 02 Oct 2019 13:23 #214174 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Screeching Fan Belt
If you have plenty of cash, change the pulley. They all fail eventually, and when they do you are stranded as the water pump stops, a failing pully may even be why your belts are screeching under load.

You don't have to take the radiator out to change the belts though, you feed the belt round the fan blades, it is much easier to get at everything with the radiator out though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 13:23 by facade.

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 09:13 #214548 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Screeching Fan Belt
I had the same problem, the mechanic i took it to said he just tightened it up? Im using a Gates micro v belt. I get a momentary squeal at startup then it goes away. I did buy a Good Year gator belt, it has some different patterns on the inside of the belt , supposed to help this problem, but usual story i havent fitted it yet.

More
10 Oct 2019 09:59 - 10 Oct 2019 10:00 #214553 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Screeching Fan Belt
Neighbours car had numerous belts changed but it never resolved the problem. One day I had to collect the car for her from the workshop where the problem was being looked at for probably the third time, and it was a cold rainy morning.

I noticed that even after the work had been done to try to fix the shreiking belt problem it resurfaced just a mile or two down the road as I switched on more and more electrics such as wipers; radio; heater fan; and lights.

The car promptly went back.
It transpired the fault was actually with the alternator - it was trying to stop when more an more load was put on it .

It was duly replaced and the phenomenon never showed up again

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 10:00 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds