BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Are my tyres any good

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2019 20:07 #213273 by noba
Are my tyres any good was created by noba
Just got my first Jimny a 2011 SZ3 in grey done 55,000 miles will post pics soon i know nothing Jimny.
I do know i had a 50 mile drive to get it home and i love it should have had one years ago.
As the title says are my tyres any good.
All tyres standard size
Fronts are part worn Yokahama Geolandar a/t
Rears are brand new Vredestein Snowtrac 5
Spare is a worn out michellin
If i was to make my own decision i would probably dump the lot and fit 5 identical new tyres.
Oh i should mention that i want the best tyre setup for driving on tarmac roads in the peak district in all weathers.
Will be glad of any help and thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Sep 2019 21:23 #213276 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Are my tyres any good
Welcome to the forum. Tyres are massively subjective, everyone here will have an opinion on which they think is best usually that will be what they currently have fitted. I am no different and would wholeheartedly recommend the bf Goodrich urban terrain. That said what you have on now will be more than adequate for normal wet slushy winter weather that we get in the UK, especially if you drive with a little bit of decorum in the worst of the weather.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Sep 2019 23:17 - 07 Sep 2019 23:18 #213277 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Are my tyres any good
I'll second what Lambert said.
Both the Yoka and Vredestien will get you around most places all year, a good level of tread depth possibly more important than the make in snow. I run summer tyres all year and have been out playing in the snow around Leek moorlands and never been stuck. I do have a set of snow socks just in case, but so far they are still in the packaging. So fit what you want with confidence and drive sensibly, the Jimny's good enough for most on its standard tyres etc.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Sep 2019 23:18 by Scimike.

More
08 Sep 2019 09:51 #213278 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Are my tyres any good
I live at the side of the Peaks, the weather is pretty extreme most winters.....

A good tyre for snow is a must, this means you compromise elsewhere.... I chose BFG AT's and find them to be a good allrounder, great off road and tough enough. A bit wide for the Jimny's weight at 215, this means they can be a handful in the wet if you drive aggressively. (the compromise)

I do drive the Peaks B roads in all weathers and just drive gently in the rain. No negative really....

There are plenty of quality brands about and most of them will have supporters and nay sayers, have a look at old posts and the wiki section. Quite a bit said on the subject.

sniper
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2019 09:59 #213279 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Are my tyres any good
Forgot to say, if you want to have a drive on mine before you decide.... I have a blast round at least once a month and would happily stop for a pint and a butty..

I'm near j29M1 if your close, anytime...

sniper

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2019 21:43 - 08 Sep 2019 21:45 #213307 by noba
Replied by noba on topic Are my tyres any good
Hi and thanks to all who replied i bought the Jimny on Friday the 6th the Vredestien tyres on the rear were fitted the same day so rear tyres only two days old.
I would rather have same tyres allround including the spare so how would it be if i bought 3 more Vredestien for front and spare.
I ask because i never heard of Vredestien tyres before would this be an ok setup.
Most all driving done in the peaks on tarmac but we quite often go camping on the smaller sites so farm tracks where most times to much for fiesta hence Jimny.
I did say would post a pic so here goes
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Sep 2019 21:45 by noba.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Sep 2019 04:09 #213309 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Are my tyres any good
Verdstine have been producing decent upper mid range tyres for decades and are a perfectly serviceable tyre. They don't usually last as long as a Michelin but they seem to grip well and aren't massively expensive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Sep 2019 06:58 #213319 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Are my tyres any good
Good choice, sure you will be happy with them.
I had a full set of Vredestiens fitted to a Reliant Scimitar I owned, very happy with their performance and they lasted well, so they are a make I would happily fit to my Jimny.
Any feedback on your tyres appreciate, road noise and tarmac performance.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2019 08:31 #213321 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Are my tyres any good
If you do want to match them up I would just get the two front done and leave the spare.

More
09 Sep 2019 11:25 #213327 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Are my tyres any good
Has Daniel says and if the geolanders are not directional use one on your spare ;)

• noba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 19:18 - 14 Sep 2019 11:50 #213494 by noba
Replied by noba on topic Are my tyres any good
Thanks all am really happy with the Jimny it feels as if i have been driving it for years not days just feels right. Decided to buy more Vredestiens to match the two new ones on rear had another look to check i got the size right when i noticed some underseal had been sprayed on the chassi but had been sprayed over the dried on mud oh no had it been done as a cover up.
I have been using the same mechanic for 20 years so asked him to give Jimny a look over. The underseal job had been done without cleaning the muck of first but chassi all good he also checked the diff /engine/gearbox oils all new all filters new plus new brake discs and pads on the front. He is going to redo the underseal job for me.
Oh could not find anyone localy to clean undrneath so i called at the hand car wash [they seem to have sprung up all over] they gave Jimny good jetwash got most of the crap of underneath charged me a fiver.
Really chuffed with jimny so ordered Tyres tuesday night arrived this morning.

jackonlyjack thanks Geolanders are not directional so am using one as spare.
For Sniper i am near junc 30 M1
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2019 11:50 by noba.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds