BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Trashed front differential

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2019 06:30 #213423 by neok
Replied by neok on topic Re:Trashed front differential
Hello zukebob

Here is a pic of what my mechanic removed from the diff's housing.
www.5b4az.org/images/offroad/diff.JPG
Not all of these were broken, but unfortunately I don't know for sure just what he found lying in the housing. Its mainly the parts in the center of the pic which were damaged. I have a feeling he also damaged parts while dismantling but that may have been due to the parts being distorted.

The diff locker is still in position and we have not removed it, but very likely its damaged inside. I consulted Suzuki's own garage mechanic, but he said he couldn't help because not having dismantled it himself he could not tell just what broke and what needs replacement.

But considering what you also mentioned, that the axle could have failed first, me and my mechanic decided to get hold of a complete axle assembly from used part dealers, if we can find one in good condition, and do a complete replacement. Whatever the case, I will be more careful not get trapped in such nasty places.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2019 01:52 #213451 by zukebob
You have a piece in this picture that is very clearly damaged. In the lower middle of the picture is the cup portion of the carrier bearing. Directly above that is the damaged piece that I am referring to. Is that the air seal housing that the air line connects to? I'm referring to item 2 on this diagram.

I'm not really sure how that would be damaged if the internals of the locker itself failed. Did the carrier bearing on that side fail? Perhaps someone with more experience with air lockers can provide some insight.

It's never bad to have spares available but you may want to save money and confirm what the failure was before buying a complete front axle.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 04:46 #213455 by neok
I don't really have much knowledge of the diff mechanics and parts, and my mechanic never seen an air locker so he is not sure what actually broke first. But there was a lot of damage, since he called me as soon as he opened the housing to show me that there were parts lying in it. I remember the brass airline was stretched and looked like it snapped off, as its end was deformed. So the part you refer to is likely the air seal housing.

Still, I can't be sure what the mechanic himself damaged while dismantling the unit. In any case, there are still some noises and even vibrations somehow caused by the front axle, even though the shafts should be disconnected. I think it may even be some damage somewhere in the axle or more likely the shafts moving side ways and engaging with the front wheel couplings.

Anyhow, right now I am facing serious danger to my health and even life, as a specific heart medicine I relied on for years is no longer available here and there is no suitable alternative. I am trying hard to find a way out but health care here has become a mess since government has introduced a national health service of sorts.
It makes broken diffs look rather unimportant!

Best regards

Neoklis

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Sep 2019 04:51 #213456 by Lambert
That doesn't sound good. Hope you find a suitable supply soon!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 05:32 #213457 by neok
Yes, thanks!

Trouble is there is no other drug that does the same job (its cordarone) and I am stuck with it, since withdrawal causes exactly what it is supposed to prevent - paroxysmic tachicardia (uncontrollable doubling of the heart rate). And that leads very soon to heart failure. And I am now living alone in the country side, with only one good neighbor! ;-)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Sep 2019 06:08 #213459 by Lambert
This gets worse the more I hear. Have you looked at getting a private prescription outside your usual supply chain?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Sep 2019 07:16 #213463 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Trashed front differential
If there is any way that you could get a prescription filled in the UK. I will happily post the meds for you.... (similar heart issue's and I would be dead without my meds...)

sniper

More
13 Sep 2019 07:22 #213464 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Trashed front differential
A broken diff is completely unimportant compared to what you need to take care of. Definitely put your car aside and take care of yourself.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 09:33 #213467 by neok
Well, till very recently it was all private supply chains for medicines, although there was a parallel almost free medical care in government hospitals, for those eligible (mainly low income and pensioners). Its the private suppliers that don't seem to import it any more and a local pharma that used to produce it, is not any longer. I am beginning to suspect the medicine may be withdrawn since it has serious side effects. But I was lucky today, I found just one packet in a pharmacy in another suburb so I now have a few weeks to resolve the issue.

Many thanks for the support I am having on this forum!

Neoklis

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 09:36 #213468 by neok
Replied by neok on topic Trashed front differential
Thank you very much for your offer to help. I have a sister living in the UK and I was just thinking of asking her to do that. Getting a precription might be difficult though.

Neoklis

• neok
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2019 09:41 #213469 by neok
Replied by neok on topic Trashed front differential
Yes, in any case its likely going to be some time before a unit becomes available on the used market. Luckily its usable as is.

Neoklis

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds