BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brake pedal solid ignition off

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2019 22:44 #212859 by Blackout
Brake pedal solid ignition off was created by Blackout
Hi all not sure if this normal or not but if I have brake pedal depressed and switch engine off it lifts the pedal and is solid.. cannot pump the brake. Soon as turn engine on it’s back to normal. Is this normal for Jimny?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2019 00:53 #212860 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Brake pedal solid ignition off
If the brakes are vacuum assisted (have brake booster) the pedal goes harder when engine off.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Aug 2019 04:32 #212862 by Lambert
That's good, it suggests that there's no air in your brake system. Have you tried in a controlled environment to stop the car with the engine off? You should have 2 ish presses of the pedal before the remaining vacuum is bled off and then the solid pedal but with just enough movement to stop the car. It will take effort especially if you are not built like fat Thor.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Aug 2019 07:45 #212902 by kirkynut
This is good and proves your brake servo us working ok.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2019 15:47 #212919 by 602
Replied by 602 on topic Brake pedal solid ignition off
Hi,

My first post here ... and I'm going to talk about another marque ... but it might save somebody's life.

My wife ran me up a young Welsh mountain, in a Triumph 2500TC, wityh a few tools in the boot. She waited while I changed my punctured tyre. I drove down the hill, met a lorry coming up, pulled onto the verge.

" Wonder where she is going to ... now what has she done?", as she clipped my front wing ... and disappeared over a 100ft cliff. Luckily she was caught by a tree, about 15ft down..

Truck driver and I clambered down, car was wedged, on it's side between cliff and tree. Open door upwards. SWMBO sitting in passenger footwell, feet on the drivers seat. I told the truck driver to grab an ankle, and we'd pull her out. "Oh no you won't! I'm coming out head first!."

Nobody had ever told her not to freewheel, with a dead engine in a car with vacuum brakes. She was a very nervous passenger for several weeks.
"HAVE WE GOT VACUUM????????"

Park on hill ...switch off engine ...pump pedal to get rid of vacuum ... pedal will go hard ... engage third gear... ... switch on ignition .... depress clutch ... drop hand brake ... let car roll. When you reach about 10mph, try to stop[ using brakes. SCAREY, ISN'T IT?

Lift clutch pedal, engine will turn, and you will have brakes again. It's not a pleasant experience. BUT NOW YOU KNOW!

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds