BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1999 Jimny - G13BB Engine Engine Check Light On and Off.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2019 02:59 #211794 by Owl
Recent History: The engine and gearbox have recently been reconditioned / rebuilt. Engine easy starting all the time. Its Winter at this time.

Engine check light comes on after approx. 30 to 45 mins highway driving. Sitting on 90 kms to 95 kms / hr.

Startup in morning the check light stays on for a few seconds and then goes off until highway driving of approx. 45 mins it comes on. Engine performance doesn't seem to diminish and is not in 'limp mode' if the vehicle has that? I don't know. Still can drive at 90kms per / hr.

In 4WD low range I recently drove the vehicle in some rough country for over a hour and the check engine light stayed off. Engine oil is new, and there is no coolant loss. Engine dosen't overheat according to the temp gauge. Stays constant on halfway of the temp gauge, give or take 0.5mm.

It seems the check engine light will only come on when engine is at operating temp, driving highway speeds, (90 to 95kms per /hr), and will stay on until engine turned off and engine has cooled down. I have disconnected the battery and the code clears but returns as i drive down the highway within minutes. Driving to and from work and around town the engine light stays off (Approx 20 to 30mins max running time).

Any ideas what to do, what to check? Do i need to visit a dealer for dealer level scan? Look forward to your advice Owl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Aug 2019 05:17 #211796 by Lambert
It sounds like a sensor is deteriorating and only fails with sufficient heat soaking from significant use. You say you have cleared the codes, did you record what they were as it would narrow down the list of sensors?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2019 10:15 #211805 by Owl
Gday Dreadnaught, thanks for input, For clearing the check engine light I just removed the neg lead from battery for a few mins and replaced it while I was driving on the highway. Check engine goes off. Dont know how to read the codes my scan tool is locked out. (OBD1). Ive got the Vident scan tool, supposed to do jimnys but not mine, has an error code 1902 locked . Contacted the company over 3 months ago they said they were going to give me a fix, its not coming as yet.

that said, something else appeared today , a big squeal from the alternator i'd say, its a loud high pitched squeal which appeared. Under more load by putting lights on the squeal gets louder. Belts are as new on this one, have done around 500kms on the engine. IIts efinately coming from the alternator side.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2019 10:21 #211806 by Owl
I mean thanks Lambert.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2019 07:19 #212637 by Owl
For those interested, G13BB reading diagnostic trouble code(s),

I found the connector just under the glove-box area. used a piece wire and jumpered pin 2 and 3, as instructed in the workshop manual. One pin socket is a ground and the other pin is for the code access.

I got code 13 , O2 sensor, no other codes .

I'll replace the O2 sensor and see if that helps. Could be linked to the CAT converter or dodgy wire but the code suggests its the oxygen sensor is the fault. thanks Owl.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2019 07:26 #212638 by Owl
Re: Vident Scan Tool,

Vident has scan software to do OBD1 Jimnys but it has a bug in it (thats their words), they said they were going to fix it some 4 or 5 months ago, but have now made it low priority. The bug might be for the Australian market Jimny only but I cant be sure of that?

They were happy to refund. I think they will get to it at some time but couldn't give a solid time-frame when it was going to happen.

More
05 Sep 2019 19:49 #213180 by tommyk19
Not sure if it helps but I've bought mine O2 G13BB Jimny 2 years ago with Engine Check Light permanently ON. After going through 2 full tanks of Shell V-Power light dissapeared to never come back again.

More
05 Sep 2019 21:28 #213181 by bryn
A remote possibility but if you’ve had the bonnet off.............. the engine light come on when the bonnet is not closed properly........worth a look.

bryn

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2019 03:36 #213182 by Owl
Thanks for that info bryn , i had no idea am unsecured bonnet will set the CEL on. I do have a bit of a dicky latch so it could well be that it happens because if it? Ive yet to give it a good run as its still having clutch surgery done.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds