BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Very high fuel consumption (2l/10km) G13BB

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2019 17:11 #211049 by Iaitoo
Hello!

My mother is borrowing my Jimny these days. She lives on a small island with only 9km of road. The car is mostly used to and from the docks to carry groceries etc. Which is about 1km to drive. When I had it in the city it used about 1.2L per 10km. Now its up to 2L..
The clutch is old and bad. And it never really gets driven long obviously. I sometimes flog it down the 9kms just to let it run properly.
It has a 2inch lift and 16" steelies with 215/65r16 KO2's. Oils on diffs has been changed recently. New plugs, filters..

Is the bad clutch and short driving enough to make it use 2L/10km? It had all the same mods before when it used 1.2..
The clutch makes it struggle a bit on low revs(I think it is the clutches fault). Can stutter a bit. And the pedal must be almost fully released for it to bite.

What else should I be looking in to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2019 06:46 #211079 by Scimike
Combined short journeys are going to give a very poor mpg figure. Most of the 1km the engine will be warming up to operating temperature and so is at its most inefficient. Providing you can't see any fuel leaks and the engine is in good order the your poor mpg is most likely caused by the way it is used. The clutch is only going to impact mpg if it's slipping, stiff to operate will only impact the drivers leg :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2019 14:57 #211098 by Iaitoo
Replied by Iaitoo on topic Very high fuel consumption (2l/10km) G13BB
Engine sometimes stutter a bit. And it doesnt like low revs at all. Have to drive in first up to almost 30 km/t. Always have to keep it at almost 2k rev while driving so it doesnt struggle. Something feels a bit off. And it has been getting slowly worse on fuel before it started having only 1km trips.

More
15 Jul 2019 17:09 #211101 by Scimike
I have to say that does sound as if the engine has issues. One thing the Jimny is good at is driving around in a high gear without the need to over rev in each just to get it going. I short shift out of first way earlier than your 30kpt / 18.5 mph never to see the gear again unless I stop.
This could just be me though, what do others think?

Short Journeys could still be the issue from a service point, but sounds like you have changed engine oil plugs etc.

Are the brakes binding? On a flat surface it should be fairly easy to push, handbrake off, out of gear.

Not sure as MPG is influenced by so my things including your modifications to the vehicle.

If my maths is correct (highly possible it's not) when it was good you got 23.5mpg, now it's bad you are getting 14mpg .
14mpg is very low, but then so is 23mpg, my standard Jimny averages about 36mpg, so this could just be your modifications and short distance journeys.

Don't know to be honest.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Jul 2019 04:19 #211110 by Lambert
Just read this. First thought was that one or more brakes are stuck on. I can't get my mpg that bad even towing at full capacity up steep hills so something is going wrong.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Jul 2019 06:25 #211111 by mlines
That's close to what my modified one with huge tyres, rollcage, winch bumpers etc achieves (19 mpg)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2019 15:53 #211129 by Iaitoo
I will double check the brakes. But it recently had new brake hoses, and a new caliper on one side with new glide pins on the other side. It is not pulling and feels nippy enough.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2019 09:10 #211387 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Very high fuel consumption (2l/10km) G13BB
Woman driver and worn clutch anyway, bad combination!

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2019 17:51 #211407 by Iaitoo
Probably :P

I drove it again this weekend and the clutch is slipping sometimes. Waiting for a new one :) I have also changed the bosch spark plugs I bought from the bigjimny store. They have a big tip. The new Brisk ones I bought have fine wire tips. And seems like that did something. It does not struggle at low revs anymore!

More
23 Jul 2019 22:59 #211436 by yakuza
Good the plugs helped. If it is still thirsty, Could it be bad gas on the island? Condensation in it?
Air filter?
Low tire pressure?
Leaky intake manifold?
Stuck or bad dynamo/ac/power steering/something?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2019 20:15 #211449 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Very high fuel consumption (2l/10km) G13BB
Check fuel pipe run to and from engine to tank as they get a lot of crud at the tank end and they might have pin hole leak!

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2019 14:17 #211589 by Iaitoo

yakuza wrote: Good the plugs helped. If it is still thirsty, Could it be bad gas on the island? Condensation in it?
Air filter?
Low tire pressure?
Leaky intake manifold?
Stuck or bad dynamo/ac/power steering/something?

They dont sell fuel there, I have to bring it from the city. Its all new and good :) Will have to see how it is now, but I have used it a bit and the the fuel gauge isnt going down so fast that I can see it anymore. Tire pressure is not bad I think. Could be a leaky manifold or something stuck. Will check if all pullys are spinning! Thanks :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds