BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Are heavy duty rear springs available or are......

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 17:54 #210556 by NineCherries
Can you get heavier duty rear springs or are spring spacers an option?

Jimny sags at the back, I got a 2nd set of spring and they were exactly the same length but it hasn’t helped with the sag so I recon it’s to do with the weight I carry, tow bar, Jimny bits steel roof rack, and sub, amp, some tools, recovery gear in the tiny boot.

When I swapped out the rear springs I checked the shock absorbers, all look good (only fitted 9 months ago) and checked the spring seats and the are solid so that’s not the problem

Any ideas folks? running less weight isn’t an option. I’ve even considered longer springs with standard shocks but not sure if that’s dangerous from a mechanical/ handling point of view.

Thanks. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2019 18:13 #210557 by Scimike
I can't help with the spring answer, interested myself as when we go camping we tow a caravan and load the Jimny to the roof, and then load the roof as well. :laugh:
With all this lot it sits lower at the rear, did think better springs or shocks would help. So interested in any answers.

However my car is almost the same as yours with the exception of the recovery items, having a towbar, tools in the (small storage) rear jack pocket, Jimnybits rack, Transfer box guard. With all this it sits level, so I assume yours does if you remove the recovery items?
I do have the rear seats removed and a plywood floor installed to increase the camping payload, maybe that's the difference.

If not it could be your standard springs are shot and the new set you fitted are not much better, how can you tell?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 19:16 #210561 by NineCherries
I picked up another standard set off of another member on here. Cosmetically they were in much better shape (they put a lot of salt out during a Scottish winter) mine had all the paint flaking off.

When I took my original ones off they were exactly the same length as the replacements. Car sat exactly the same. I suppose both could be of similar age but I think it’s more down to the weight. I’ll try taking some out and see.

More
03 Jul 2019 20:27 - 03 Jul 2019 20:32 #210563 by Scimike
Does anyone know how long a standard rear spring should be "on the bench"?

I have a bit of a fear of aftermarket springs born of my LandRover experiences, most appear to be made of Monkey Metal and will sag or snap, or both, within a few years of fitting. You do get what you pay for and English manufacturers (if you can find any) are the place to go. Jones Springs are the favourites for Series Land Rovers, well made and correctly made.

I don't know if they make Jimny springs or if they will make you a one off set. They are here just in case nothing else pops up.

www.jones-springs.co.uk/off-road-suv-springs

They may just make cart springs, but could be worth a call.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 20:32 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
03 Jul 2019 20:54 #210565 by Scimike
Found these via googling

www.grayston.biz/spring%20assisters%20page.htm

Spring assisters that go inside original springs of people with heavy loads. Again not much info on the web site other than phone technical department.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 21:43 #210567 by NineCherries
Smashing. Thanks for the links and info, they might be worth a call :)

I have seen those assist loops before but I’ve never used them before though, it might get a set to try too.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2019 05:25 #210572 by Lambert
I spent a lot of time trying to find a solution to this and the short answer is no. In the end I have bought new supaflex springs from Ebay and for road driving they are fine. I also have a separate set of custom springs that I only use on track that are massively hardso it corners virtually flat at quite silly speeds, they also lower it significantly while simultaneously making it undriveable on road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2019 05:46 - 04 Jul 2019 05:50 #210576 by X8GGY
On S200KYS and the buggy build I have fitted front springs on the rear... they are 1.5" longer than the rears and wound for the extra weight of the engine, so give some lift and are heavy duty;er,,,

S200KYS has +4" JB diesel front springs all round t(with springs spacers on the front) o give 5" of lift (less the weight of the notoriously phat Jimny!)

The buggy build has 4 new Supaflex front springs, the 2 in the rear give 1.5" of lift and the ones in the front are coupled with 1.5" spring spacers to give the lift, but new refreshed springs, and at that height castor correction is not required...
Last edit: 04 Jul 2019 05:50 by X8GGY.

More
04 Jul 2019 06:09 #210577 by RainerK
At horntools.com there are certified Treckfinder Heavy Duty Springs that would allow to upgrade the Jimny to 1650kg and the rear axle to 900kg. The intention is for winter vehicles to mount e.g., a salt spreader or a snow plough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, NineCherries

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2019 06:18 #210578 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Are heavy duty rear springs available or are......
Nice find. Thanks. I’ll have a look later. :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2019 06:28 #210580 by Lambert
That 20mm kit looks very interesting. Well spotted.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2019 06:32 #210581 by sniper
I had tired standard springs when I got my car and replaced them with KYB standard height springs and there was a massive improvement......

I still wasn't happy, couldn't put my finger on a problem but knew that there was better to be had....

Eibach have a big reputation for quality and they offered a set of springs at +30mm, I fitted them and have been very pleased.

Combined with AVO dampers and a mixture of Superpro, Polybush and standard rubber bushes. I've got what I was looking for, like a go-cart on tarmac and still capable off road.

I would suggest going to Trailmaster +2" springs for a constantly heavy load (go for the full kit??), a quality manufacturer and a well reviewed set up, that should solve your issue.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds