BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny 3 - 1st model front bumper in place of 3rd model

More
18 Jun 2019 11:16 #210082 by Bosanek
I have a Jimny 3 made in 2012, with the revised "aggressive" front end and 3rd model front bumper (2012-2018).

Like this one:

I intend to replace that 3rd model front bumper with the old 1st model one (which I have not yet obtained).

I thought that the replacement would be straightforward regarding the fitment and attachment with factory clips and bolts.

However, I found this installation / swap report from a Russian Jimny owner:
www.drive2.ru/l/3401620/

He apparently had significant issues with proper fitment, so he had to cut off parts of the chassis and drill some holes in the bumper etc. !?

It appears that the front end of the chassis is somehow different on post-2012 Jimnys 3?

Has anyone already tried this combination? I definitely would not want to cut anything off, and I am looking towards alternative suggestions on how to overcome the fitment collisions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jun 2019 11:24 #210083 by Lambert
Someone on here has gone the opposite way and put the whole front end off a later one onto an earlier one. They may have insight and but it was a lot of work if memory serves.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jun 2019 11:40 #210085 by Bosanek
Replacing the entire front end is a lot of work because not only the bonnet, bumper and front grille, but also the entire left and right front fenders have to be replaced as well (and possibly some other parts unseen).

However my aim is just to do the bumper.

If you know who's done it, let me know.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jun 2019 12:37 #210087 by Lambert
I can't remember. Sorry.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Nov 2019 13:15 - 21 Nov 2019 13:15 #215824 by Bosanek
I have some new findings on this issue.

There are metal brackets / caps on the front ends of the chassis rails. These brackets are different for each front bumper type.
So there are three models of these brackets - for Jimnys 3 type 1-5, for type 6-8 and for type 9-12. I attached one picture for each model. Ignore the red circle in the 3rd picture.

These brackets on Jimnys 3 type 9-12 are the ones which collide with the 1st model front bumper when attempted to install, because they are too tall (hang too low to the ground).
A typical solution would be to cut the bottom part of these brackets.

However, Suzuki offers all three of these bracket models as a separate obtainable spare parts for the vehicle. The strange thing is all three of these bracket models are factory welded to the chassis, so the only way to replace them is to cut the old ones off and weld on new ones.

Still, I believe that obtaining 1st model spare brackets and doing that procedure is better than cutting off the part of the original 3rd model brackets. This way, the original brackets can always be returned into service by cutting off the welds and welding another bracket into place.

Does anyone have a destroyed Jimny chassis (1998-2005) from which they could cut off those two brackets? I would need them for my bumper swap project.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Nov 2019 13:15 by Bosanek.

More
01 Jan 2020 17:35 #216895 by j999pre
Hi. Did you get any further with this. I ask as I'm looking for a Gen 3 bumper and have a Gen 1 I could swap with you.

Whereabouts are you?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
01 Jan 2020 18:03 #216896 by jackonlyjack

j999pre wrote: Hi. Did you get any further with this. I ask as I'm looking for a Gen 3 bumper and have a Gen 1 I could swap with you.

Whereabouts are you?

He's in sarajevo bosnia and herzegovina
James

More
02 Jan 2020 18:24 #216945 by j999pre
Oh poo. Ta Jack

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
06 Jan 2020 07:00 #217039 by Bosanek
Yes I am quite far away and one too many border and customs check away.

I did obtain a pair of suitable front end chassis metal caps for type 1-5 (for 1st model front bumper) from jackonlyjack (thanks again for that by the way), but I did not do anything with them yet because of the cold weather and because I have other priorities at the moment. I plan to do that during the spring time hopefully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds