BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

• Rodda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2021 23:07 #240145 by Rodda
Had my 2021 Chiffon Ivory since July 1st .(<1500km; Lockdown 5km limit).
1st gear grind/noise the last 2-3 weeks.
Rang dealer... they want it for the day.
Said it was serious enough for inspection.
Glad this forum exists, great resource.
I'll let everyone know the outcome.
Hoping it is truly a benign issue.
(first post. Greetings from Melbourne Aus.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blondie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2021 21:20 #240191 by Blondie
We picked our commercial up in July and I heard the buzz straight off the forecourt, and the more I hear it, the more it sounds like the edge of the tyre just rubbing something, although I know the tyre can’t touch anything. You will hear it nearly every time in first gear. I’m not particularly worried yet as so many are reporting this same noise, It’s strange as the sound is quite a fast moving buzz ..zzzzztt although the vehicle is barely moving If you see what I mean? What part of the vehicle is moving that fast at such a slow speed?
I haven’t heard it on our 2020 sz5 auto
Fingers crossed we find out more soon!

• Rodda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2021 20:16 #240307 by Rodda
UPDATE
The dealer has confirmed this noise as a transfer chain issue.
Said I was the 4th Jimny back to the dealership.
Awaiting a call to come back and replace the chain....
Will update after install.

• Blondie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2022 20:07 #240943 by Blondie
Hi
Does anyone have any updates on this noise/fault?

More
06 Jan 2022 20:35 #240944 by Doctorchris
Replacement of the transfer case chain, under warranty, has cured the problem on my Jimny.

More
07 Jan 2022 07:54 #240952 by Bill Portland
Mine used to make the noise fairly frequently but doesn't seem to do it any more - 24k miles. 

• Cowri
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2022 09:22 #241296 by Cowri
I have also noticed this in my Jimny. Especially in 4H, 1st gear up a hill. It became almost constant.
The dealer couldn't identify the noise. I've got 66,000 km on the engine and it still makes this noise, occasionally though. When I replaced the oil on the transfer case, gearbox and housings it got quiet for about 2,000 km.

But it's back, like a bad rash - the dealer's "shrugging of shoulders" is getting to me. :(

More
30 Jan 2023 10:05 #247266 by davemac7
I had my 2019 SZ4 transfer chain replaced last year. Cost was about £1100 in all. Suzuki would not contribute to the cost. The noise is all but gone, it can be still heard very slightly but it is no longer prominent and does not bother me now. Being an ex mechanic I guess I am more discerning do still hear it slightly, Any passengers would now not notice it. The general transmission seems a bit noisier overall since the mod, slightly more whinny, but again I only I notice it. So to my ears I have got rid of one noise but have another. Perhaps it is because the new chain is tighter. I previously had the series three SZ4 for five years, which had perfectly quiet transmission. I have mixed feelings about getting it done, probably because I had to pay for it, but overall I am glad it's done as I hated the first gear grind. I am not impressed with Suzuki charging for a design fault. Pic attached of the old chain and parts box label.
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2023 10:09 #247267 by davemac7
Ps milage was 14k and just over 3 years old. I am second owner

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds