BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear indicator not working but bulb not blown?

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 11:39 #209005 by psybear
I have had a good search through the threads here but can't find anything similar, so I'd appreciate any advice.

2007 Jimny - a few weeks ago the internal dash indicator was occasionally flashing rapidly when turning right. Did an external check and confirmed that the rear offside indicator wasn't working when this happened - but like I say, it was an intermittent fault, at least initially.

Then it became a constant fault so I swapped out the bulb, not really expecting it to fix the issue given how it had manifested itself - but it seemed to do the trick. That was a week ago, although the car wasn't driven most of the week. Yesterday the fault appeared back - again constant. Checked the bulb and it looked fine. Swapped over the indicator bulbs at the rear and, sure enough, both bulbs function fine on left side but neither works on the right. Front indicators and side repeaters fine on both sides.

Any clue why this is happening? Electrical contacts in the unit concerned seem fine.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2019 12:39 #209007 by jackonlyjack
check the wiring where it comes through the floor behind n/s rear wheel
also the connector inside behind the n/s plastic panel
The following user(s) said Thank You: psybear

• Jim Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 12:55 #209010 by Jim Jim
Look for corrosion in the connectors for both front and rear signals.

More
26 May 2019 13:24 #209012 by RainerK
I would think that it is still a connection issue. If the other lights work fine it will likely not be a defective grounding. What I would do is go through all connections and polish them a little bit, may it is some oxidation that you cannot see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psybear

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 13:27 #209013 by psybear
Thanks guys - think I have identified the issue. I put the hazards on and fiddled with the sheathed connector within the tail-light unit and the bulb came on. I've put the cover back on (all still working) and will monitor it but there does appear to be a dodgy connection in there!

More
26 May 2019 15:57 #209022 by stiffsteve204me

psybear wrote: Thanks guys - think I have identified the issue. I put the hazards on and fiddled with the sheathed connector within the tail-light unit and the bulb came on. I've put the cover back on (all still working) and will monitor it but there does appear to be a dodgy connection in there!

Do something about it, ASAP. It will overheat.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds