BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

3rd Gen Suzuki Jimny VVT 2005 M13A - R72 Gearbox Refurbishment

More
29 Sep 2019 17:05 #214019 by gilburton
My gearbox went at 32000 miles and I also had the leaky prop.
Maybe that contributed to the problem who knows but since getting it rebuilt it has been no problem and is approaching 90k.
The fact that the kits seem to have sealed bearings seem to point to a lube issue.
Don't be tempted to buy a used gearbox as they are generally overpriced and breakers know there is a demand for them.
It's a few years now but it cost £650 inc removing/fitting and a new clutch.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2019 20:49 #214078 by HUN
It's sitting on my bench and waiting for swap as the other one is still bolted to the engine. I have not filled this up yet with gear oil. I think whitout the prop shaft attached gear oil can leak through the rear end so it has not got proper lubrication yet. Despite of this I tried to change gears on the bench and it works as good as you would expect without proper lubrication. Fingers crossed!
My MOT is due at the end of October hence I will only swap boxes after It passed and no need to be a runner. Do you mean you tested before fitting? Was it seemingly working then turned out it had backwards gear inside? If so, then what was the symptom?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
25 Dec 2019 19:36 #216783 by HUN
Finally! Yesterday I have finished fitting my refurbished gearbox and done a few miles test run! Works like new! :woohoo: I had also fitted a ceramic Stage 3 clutch which should last many years to come. Clutch needs to bed in tho...:pinch:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds