BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4

More
12 Dec 2019 17:25 #216431 by treps
Defender owners are well versed on undercoating... I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but I have mine done by Chris Colvert (Zagato) in West Sussex. PM if you want details. He does an excellent job. I will be taking my Gen4 as soon as I get it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2019 16:13 #216442 by yakuza
So easy to see on old cars which where undercoated and which were not. The 20 years old ones was treated, the untreated ones is gone to the scrappers.
Norwegian suzukis were badly treated in the 90 's. They are gone.
80's and 00's are still around.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
16 Dec 2019 08:35 #216503 by Busta
Depends how long you are keeping it. If you're selling it in 10 years or less then don't bother as you will never see a return. If you're planning on keeping it forever then do it from day 1.

More
17 Dec 2019 06:54 #216519 by yakuza

Busta wrote: Depends how long you are keeping it. If you're selling it in 10 years or less then don't bother as you will never see a return. If you're planning on keeping it forever then do it from day 1.

Well, some would hesitate to buy an untreated car.. or pay more for a treated one.
I know i have done that, but i buy to keep for along time and do not swap cars often.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
17 Dec 2019 12:40 #216523 by Busta

yakuza wrote:

Busta wrote: Depends how long you are keeping it. If you're selling it in 10 years or less then don't bother as you will never see a return. If you're planning on keeping it forever then do it from day 1.

Well, some would hesitate to buy an untreated car.. or pay more for a treated one.
I know i have done that, but i buy to keep for along time and do not swap cars often.

Few would pay more, and not enough to offset the cost of doing it. Many are put off by heavily under sealed cars as it is often used to hide problems.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2019 19:24 #216526 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4
HI,Tetrosyl Schutz Underseal is it any good?

More
17 Dec 2019 19:35 - 17 Dec 2019 19:36 #216528 by facade

Grima wrote: HI,Tetrosyl Schutz Underseal is it any good?

As long as it is going over clean treated surfaces it is as good as anything. If it is going over rust it forms a nice cosmetic skin, but on a new car it will thicken up the factory sealer. I've sprayed many an old car with tetroseal, and they still rust away beneath it, whether they rust faster or slower than without it is anyone's guess.

The dinitrol black wax is supposed to be self healing, inhibit rust, water resistant, and generally better- but they would say that as it is twice the price. ;)

I dinitrol'd my Gen 4, with a kit, I was a bit disappointed that the stonechip to do under the wheelarches seems to have been replaced by underbody wax- maybe it is better, or more likely cheaper.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 17 Dec 2019 19:36 by facade.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2019 19:57 #216529 by Grima
Sorry I'm thick, does that mean you can't underseal the wheel arches because there waxed?

More
17 Dec 2019 20:38 #216531 by facade
No, I mean the kit I bought from Dinitrol this year only had cavity wax and black underbody wax. The kit I bought 8 years ago to do the Gen 3 came with cavity wax, underbody wax and stonechip for the wheelarches.

The wheelarches on the Gen 4 are factory finished with paint over some sort of sealer or stonechip, you can spray what you like onto them.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2019 21:40 #216532 by Grima
Panic over. OK here's the deal, the garage said as it's a new car (4 weeks old) a simple job of clean dry spray. Tetrosyl Schutz Underseal, clear or black (black lasts longer?) cost £120 including vat, a 2 day job. your thoughts.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2019 05:23 #216535 by Lambert
If you can get real hammerite waxoyle it will last longer than the tetraseal stuff, it goes on better too. Obviously because of keeping environmentally anxious types under control none of these products actually work like they used to but for the budget conscious the hammerite isn't bad just expect high wear areas to only last a year between top ups.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Dec 2019 08:47 #216539 by kirkynut
In response to those who say don't bother as you'll not see the rewards, please do as in about 10-15 years I might be its custodian and I'd quite like it not to be rusty.

Thank you!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds