BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4

• iawra
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 07:53 - 07 May 2019 07:54 #207479 by iawra
On Saturday I went to the dealership to do a drive test of the new Jimny, it left me with a good old school feeling. I’m considering to undercoat the Jimny right after leaving the dealership since I plan to keep it as long as possible, but I noticed that the wheel wells have already a factory undercoat applied. Then do you think it’s worth to apply an additional one?
Last edit: 07 May 2019 07:54 by iawra.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 May 2019 08:44 #207483 by Lambert
Yes definitely. Dreadnaught is a 2011 car and has the same level of corrosion as a untreated 2016 car. Whatever you do do something, they don't last otherwise.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 09:00 #207484 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4
Having had every generation of the Jimny, LJ SJ Gen 3 and now waiting for Gen 4 to be delivered...... with experience I will be taking mine from the dealership straight to have it under sealed. No brainer.

More
07 May 2019 17:17 #207488 by treps
Makes sense. Can someone recommend a place to do this in the UK?

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 17:49 #207491 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4
Hi just about to do mine look at the pic I took of mine I am going to do mine myself at leased you know it’s been done properly. Dawn

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 18:04 #207493 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4
Ive been mulling this one over too, and decided it must be done. Ive heard good things about "rustbuster". Can anyone confirm this?

www.rust.co.uk/product/rustbuster-hot-fo...rvice-price-list-103

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2019 18:28 #207495 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4
I had a Defender done a few years back. Fantastic job and great service. Highly recommended.

More
07 May 2019 21:02 #207503 by Bob1050
Slightly puzzled by the phrase 'undercoat' - there are quite a range of underbody coatings available some of which are more focused on sound deadening, some are anti-chip (to protect the existing factory treated steelwork and some are about slowing down the spread of rust (anti-corrosion). With modern zinc plated steel and various factory treatments the spread of tin-worm disease has been slowed down - but not totally eliminated. Putting a 'waxy' type coating over a fresh from the factory will offer another level of protection but I question how many owners will ever keep their Jimny long enough to reap the reward? I've sprayed and pumped Waxoyl (and similar products) under quite a few cars - but never kept them long enough (i.e. 20 years) to see a return on the investment. As the main dealer (not Suzuki) regularly tells me - "It's no longer corrosion that ends a cars serviceable life - it's usually the electro-trickery going wrong"!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 May 2019 04:07 #207508 by Lambert
On the gen3 rust prevention is an absolute must and I am seeing the benefits after just 8 years nevermind 15 or 20 and on visual inspection the gen4 is ostensibly getting the same treatment as the later gen3 so is a worry. As to electronic failures, any generation of Jimny is relatively immune to this disease being so simple compared to it's contemporary equivalents though the gen4 is heading in the wrong direction there. Time will tell.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 May 2019 06:14 #207510 by NelsonB
Some years ago I talk with someone from 3M and they were afraid their undercoat could degrade the original anti stone chip that came with the car. So I they advised me to monitor the original treatment ad when the first signs of rip appears, to take it all off and made the chassis with another coat, like polyurea, etc. Now $ome guy$ are using some "heavy duty" nano ceramic coatings in the chassis too....

More
13 May 2019 11:37 #207865 by kirkynut
Get it undersealed as a no brainer.

If I were buying a brand new Jimny and spending all that money and intended to keep it for some time I'd be getting it professionally done.

Before and After are another company. I've never used them, nor do I know where they are, so I'll let you do the Googling!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2019 16:19 #207876 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic To undercoat or not undercoat the GEN4

kirkynut wrote: Get it undersealed as a no brainer.

If I were buying a brand new Jimny and spending all that money and intended to keep it for some time I'd be getting it professionally done.

Before and After are another company. I've never used them, nor do I know where they are, so I'll let you do the Googling!

Kirkynut

I was given this companies details from a mate. He had his landy done and said it was a good job,...

However, I would strongly advise you each do your own research on this company > "before and after"

Google it to find out. The guy has had some very bad reviews. Like really bad .... and fairly consistently over the years. #DigDeeper.

Just a heads up.

Just saying.....

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds