BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Behavior or OEM shock absorbers when hand-tested

More
22 Mar 2019 08:53 - 22 Mar 2019 08:55 #204922 by Bosanek
I have a set of second hand all four OEM Suzuki Jimny 3 shock absorbers. I do not know their service history or if they are in good condition.

I noticed that both front shock absorbers remain in whichever (un)compressed position I move them with my hands, while both rear shock absorbers immediately elongate back to their largest length after being compressed by hands.
Moving any of the four shock absorbers does require a proper effort.

Is this behavior of the pair of front shock absorbers normal?

Two mechanics, who I asked the same question, told me that every functioning shock absorber should strive to return to a certain elongation after being forced to be in a different (un)compressed state (depending on the model). Therefore, their deduction is that both front shock absorbers are faulty.

However, I also have a full set of OEM Jimny 3 shock absorbers (dismantled from a brand new Jimny 3 after traveling less than 500 km) and I tested that the front pair of shock absorbers behave the same way as described above !?
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 08:55 by Bosanek. Reason: Minor clarifications

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2019 09:37 #204924 by Lambert
Genuine front dampers don't return to elongated as they are just oil. The rears are gas over oil so will attempt to return to full extension. Most reputable after market dampers are gas over oil in both locations. There are pros and cons for each type but i a road car those differences are not really important compared with the general condition of the dampers and that they have been developed for the specific application they are being used in.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
22 Mar 2019 20:24 #204937 by X8GGY
I wouldn't rate those two mechanics then Bosanek?!

:blink:

More
24 Mar 2019 20:05 #205016 by Bosanek
Lambert, thank you very much for the explanation. So it's normal for OEM front shock absorbers not to return to elongated position after compressing them by hand.

S200KYS, yes it appears quite so. That's why I never trust a mechanic. I learned that a long time ago.
Don't trust a mechanic to diagnose a mechanical issue (only to repair it), don't trust a general to wage a war (only a battle) and don't trust a programmer to make a functional program (only to make it).
:)

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds