BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Silent coolant leak (not visible)

More
20 Mar 2019 14:20 #204844 by Kylobeetle
Hello guys,

1st I want to thanks all of you because of such useful solutions in this forum, I always come here to read, but this time I feel the need to write about my own situation since I couldnt find it in the related problems to my case .

As the title says, Im having a leak of coolant, and of course I cant find it . I will share what I have done so far and any other observations I could notice so maybe this would help me to troubleshot the problem.

after some days, my coolant level start to decrease slowly, It start from sucking from the recovery tank, and after that from the radiator itself. Other times it would drain directly from the radiator first, this doest not happen in one day , can take from 3 days to 6. depends of the use of the engine I guess. I dont have overheating problems. Also I tested my thermostat before, with the engine running, I put a water hose directly to the radiator and removed the returning hose from the radiator, and then started to acelerate. When the engine reached its peak temperature, the returning hose started to throw out water/coolant and when it cooled a little, it ceased, because of that I could confirm that the thermostat was working.

Also I got from internet a radiator pressure tester, and pumped 1.1 bars of air as the cap says and the pressure started to drop very slowly but no signs of coolant on the ground or any visible pipe. am I missing something :( ? .. So far I have recolected this information, if im missing something let me know.

Suzuki Jimny, hard top, 2007 . 240,000 Km.

- There is no sign of coolant/water in the oil, no milky substance or any related to this case.
- The scape is not expeling white smoke nor black.
-In the radiator cap, while the engine is running, scape gases are not coming out.
-When you open the radiator cap, the coolant is always green, no signs of contamination
-Inside of the cabin, there is no sweet smell from the coolant, no wet carpets either.
-Radiator cap is new.
-No signs of tearing on the radiator (coolant signs) .
-No leaks under the car (ever..)
-Hoses seems to be healthy, no signs of wet around them
-Start up is always quick, no signs of contamination in the combustion chamber, also no piston failing or something.

I have read a lot of cases around the forum but I cannot figure out yet my situation. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2019 14:41 #204846 by Lambert
Hi. My radiator was leaking ever so slightly from the joint between the aluminium core and the plastic collector tank at the top. It was hard to find as it was masked by the piece of foam along the leading edge. Good luck.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kylobeetle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds