BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clutch Pedal High bite.

• tsteph8724
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2019 21:18 #204499 by tsteph8724
Clutch Pedal High bite. was created by tsteph8724
Good evening,

I have recently purchased a 2007 reg Jimny in immaculate condition with only 30k miles. However the clutch only starts to bite near the end of the release on the pedal. I have had the car into a Suzuki dealership and they have told me that the clutch is heavy and heavily worn however I have had no experience of slipping. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if it is in fact the clutch that needs replacing.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2019 02:28 #204504 by Max Headroom
A BigJimny welcome to the forum and greetings from the Cotswold Hills.

Tom I had the exact same issue as you. First of all don't panic if its a clutch change, it shouldn't be a hugely expensive job.
30k doesn't seem many miles though. Is that mileage genuine?
My Jimny has done 75k but I have absolutely no idea if this was still on its original clutch or not - perhaps someone else here might comment on clutch wear rates.

I eventually did perceive some clutch slippage but it wasn't journey threatening.
Referring back to my old SAAB forums I asked around in there where best to go and Mr. Clutch seemed to be by far the most cost effective place to go - unfortunately the nearest one to me was in either Swindon or Oxford - I chose Swindon, as Oxford traffic is appalling at the best of times. But there may be a Mr Clutch centre near you.

The cost of changing the clutch was £255.13 inc VAT. This included a flull clutch kit and not just the friction linings, and it was done in a few hours.The old clutch was shown to me and it was down to the rivets.
I had a friend follow me to the workshops, I dropped the Jimny off and we went to the cinema. :) I picked it up a few hours later

They will tell you that it may cost more if they find other issues, but I paid what they quoted and its been brilliant ever since.

Hope this helps put your mind at rest.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2019 05:18 #204505 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Welcome to the forum. It depends on how it has been driven but I have 90k on mine. Mr clutch do seem to have a positive reputation. Exeddy clutches also have an excellent reputation if you are doing it yourself or supplying the parts to a trusted garage. There are occasionally reports of garages unfamiliar with the Jimny trapping wires or disturbing other elements but there's recourse if that happens.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2019 05:23 #204506 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Also there is a big white plastic ring on the bellhousing end of the cable that can offer some adjustment of the biting point and I would have expected a reputable dealer to have attempted that first rather than condemning the clutch. Oh and if the clutch is heavy it could be prudent to change the cable at the same time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Mar 2019 07:53 #204511 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Sounds like it wants changing, 30k is low but Jimny's suffer from "old lady" syndrome...... The old darlings are prone to ride the clutch and with way too many revs. A poorly treated clutch can wear very quickly.

My car was purchased at 65k after two old girls had kept it. Fantastically clean and never off roaded.

It had never been driven above 50mph and needed a good thrapse to clear it out.

The clutch was high when I bought it and was exchanged straight away. LUK 3 piece kit for £50 and £150 to fit at the local garage. Exeddy clutches do seem to be the preferred option but I have had no trouble with mine and I do a bit off road.

sniper

• MilkyRon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 16:38 #204529 by MilkyRon
Replied by MilkyRon on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
I've just purchased a 2006 with 55K miles on it. The clutch was also pretty high but in fairness so were all the Jims I tested. I put it down to being one of the 'characteristics' of the vehicle. Glad to know it's not too much to get it changed

• tsteph8724
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2019 18:24 #204588 by tsteph8724
Replied by tsteph8724 on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Many thanks for your response. Mileage is genuine, the car was ex tester and then went to an older man who probably just used it to get to the shops. Thanks very much for the info!

• tsteph8724
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2019 18:25 #204589 by tsteph8724
Replied by tsteph8724 on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Yeah thought that might be the case. Many thanks for the response!

More
21 Mar 2019 08:09 #204871 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Clutch Pedal High bite.
Bless old driver's. Give them a manual and they can't hear the revs, so give it more whilst slipping the clutch and they wear it out. Give them an automatic and risk them getting the accelerator pedal instead of the brake by mistake and when it doesn't slow them down they press it harder. Hey Presto, a crash!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds