BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:light steering - trying to fix

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 21:50 #204278 by NineCherries
light steering - trying to fix was created by NineCherries
evening folks

i tried searching the forum first but any light steering posts related to lifed Jimnys that need caster correction.

The steering on my jim is getting very light/ wooly. I can't really explain it any better im afraid, no wobble, no vibratiation, just very light feeling and vague with lots of corrective steering input needed. Now i recently started a new job so i do a few more motorway miles than i did before but its not a happy Jimny (or driver) on a motorway. Im aware because of the narrow track you can be tramlined into the worn tracks on the motorway but the steering wheel feels detached at times, not nice. Crosswinds are a nightmare to drive in.

With the car stationary I can wobble the steering wheel and see the road wheel moving, no clunks, not notchy and i wouldn't say excessive amounts of steering input before the wheel moves. Ive been driving my Jimny for over 4 years and cant say ive notice it feeling so light before BUT i didnt normally run at motorway speeds

Do you think its just always been like this and ive never noticed? its a different road im diving on now so its poss its more worn and highlighting the issues.

So heres a list of the maintenance i've carried out over the past year or so,
standard height with monroe shocks that are only 6 monthe old. (could the springs be past it?)
general grabber tyres (4 year old but plenty of tread)
both wheel bearings done a year ago along with king pin bearings (and shimmed where needed)
manual hubs fitted 6months ago
rear engine(gearboxmount) done 11 months ago
both front calipers done 6 weeks ago

ive checked for play on steeing rod and panhard rod both seem ok,
no play on wheels/hubs
tyre pressures ok

with all the work ive done to the front hubs i suppose it is worth checking the toe in is still correct (not tried to check that yet) and ill be giving it a good going over this weekend so looking for some help identifying any specific areas to look at.

thanks for taking time to read through this lengthy post.
Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2019 22:33 #204283 by Max Headroom
I don't know if this suggestion will help as I don't have enough Jimny experience under my belt, but certainly on cars that had the old Armstrong lever-arm type shock absorbers, if the shocks lost their oil or the vane bacame worn (an internal leak), the car would give you a "floaty" sensation as you drove along which is slightly like what you described.
This was particularly noticeable if it was front shocks that had failed.

Have the front shocks failed, or started to?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 22:49 #204285 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:light steering - trying to fix
I’ll check again but I really hope not as they have only been in the car 6 months and only about 3000 miles (all 4 shocks replaced)

I’ve been wondering if it could even be worn bushes in the caster arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Mar 2019 05:54 #204289 by Lambert
It's possible that the panhards bushes are tired but I would expect there to be a wobble it that was it. The tracking could easily explain the vagueness but in the first instance I would be checking the tyre pressures on multiple gauges to be certain they are correct.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds