BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

GEN3 Aircon, does the compressor run all the time the AC is on? Not the AC Fan

More
19 Feb 2019 10:40 - 19 Feb 2019 10:44 #203445 by Scimike
A question for those that still have working Aircon.

When you turn it on the electric fan starts ( and incidentally also compressor) does it runs continually?

Sounds like a daft question, but when I purchased our Jimny the Aircon did not start, so I borrowed an STP recharge kit and found it was low on gas. I added a little to get it going and it started to work, the fan cutting in /out etc. Cooling performance was mediocre, but that was it for 12 months. Fast forward to today and I decided to purchase my own kit and check to see if it had leaked any gas, before summer hits :laugh: .
Plugged in the STP gauge and followed instructions 100%, gas not 100% in the green with compressor engaged so added some more, and more, and more. Eventually I noticed the compressor struggling to engage as it dropped in / out, not good, panic mode engaged!

So I went the other way and started to bleed out gas, interestingly the compressor sounded happier so I kept on bleeding gas. Eventually the compressor and fan started to run continually and the air feels cool, but the gauge reading does not agree with the STP instructions. It's now very low with compressor engaged and green when disengaged.

Ok the Jimny Aircon may not be the same as a "normal" cars or STP instructions are wrong, but at the moment I have working Aircon with a happy sounding compressor. But it now runs continually (AC on only), before it cut in and out every few seconds.

Hence the question. Long ask, short answer :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 10:44 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Feb 2019 11:11 #203447 by Lambert
On mine the air conditioning fan stops and starts as it sees fit when stationary.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Feb 2019 11:28 #203449 by yakuza
So has all my cars with AC. starts and stops to keep pressures at the designated levels. You might have a faulty pressure switch?

On my old VW T4 i got the AC topped up once when it was cold only to get fault codes when the weather was hot due to heat expansion. And it was when it was hot I needed it...

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Feb 2019 12:02 #203451 by Scimike
I had assumed the Fan and compressor run at the same time.

So maybe they are independent, they just start up together and that's what I am seeing. Maybe my question is does the compressor run all the time?

In a simple system it would make sense that it did, as no temperature feedback exists and only I assume a low pressure switch?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
19 Feb 2019 21:28 #203493 by Scimike
I have changed my original title and question as I was asking the wrong thing, sorry everyone.

I want to ask
With the AC turned ON does the AC compressor run continually?

You need to look at the compressor drive pulley and check the centre clutch is rotating with the pulley outer. With the AC off the clutch will be stationary, the outer still rotating. Easy to see if you look at the AC compressor pulley, but it is a bonnet up job.

Forget the sound of the electric AC cooling fan.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds