BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Throwing belts!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2019 10:33 #202350 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Throwing belts!
I was thinking of your trauma when I wrote that!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WeeJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2019 20:36 #202394 by WeeJim
Replied by WeeJim on topic Re:Throwing belts!
Lambert,

Don't know your name, sorry.

I'm keen to get this Jimmy sorted and keep it. I'm near Darlington. Do you have a local garage/mechanic you use that you can recommend? I am in no way trying to get your personal assistance with my car trouble.

Looks like I need to get someone to change the camshaft pulley. How much should this reasonably cost (in terms of hours of labour). I've had a look and the part should be £100 or there about. Four hours labour at £50, brings it out at £300 +. Does that sound about right.

I've invested so much already in this Jimny that I want to see it through, but common sense is saying WBAY, and find another. Reason I bought it was low miles and a decent chassis with no rot. Seems a shame to give up and loose a grand!

Appreciate your thoughts

Ian

More
02 Feb 2019 20:53 - 02 Feb 2019 20:57 #202397 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Re:Throwing belts!
I might be miles out but would think that as long as the bolt comes out ok it would be less than 2 hours or so to put it all together.

This video shows some methodology:
Last edit: 02 Feb 2019 20:57 by adrianr.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2019 21:15 #202399 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Throwing belts!

WeeJim wrote: Lambert,

Don't know your name, sorry.

I'm keen to get this Jimmy sorted and keep it. I'm near Darlington. Do you have a local garage/mechanic you use that you can recommend? I am in no way trying to get your personal assistance with my car trouble.

Looks like I need to get someone to change the camshaft pulley. How much should this reasonably cost (in terms of hours of labour). I've had a look and the part should be £100 or there about. Four hours labour at £50, brings it out at £300 +. Does that sound about right.

I've invested so much already in this Jimny that I want to see it through, but common sense is saying WBAY, and find another. Reason I bought it was low miles and a decent chassis with no rot. Seems a shame to give up and loose a grand!

Appreciate your thoughts

Ian

It is my name, don't worry about it. I have long since given up with garages for all but the most advanced of operations, but having qualified as a mech eng and being a farmer diy is well within my capacity, so i couldn't give you a meaningful recommendation of a garage. Sorry. I guess you aren't far off with the expected cost but it depends on the crank bolt coming out easily for how long it takes. Unfortunately this close to lambing I'm just not able to offer my services. Is there anyone else in the north who has a garage they can recommend for this?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• WeeJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2019 21:15 #202400 by WeeJim
Replied by WeeJim on topic Re:Throwing belts!
Watched that video. Makes it look simple......

The "torque extender" is quite a bespoke tool.

More
02 Feb 2019 21:19 #202401 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Throwing belts!
Some people wedge an impact
Socket and a long bar against the chassis and blip the starter.

If you ask about you should find someone local who can help. A local mechanic to do after hours work for you.

More
04 Feb 2019 09:06 #202526 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Throwing belts!
Yes an 18" breaker bar sits nicely against the NS chassis leg and a blip of the starter undoes the bolt in an instant. It's the same radiator-out job your garage already did to fit the belts, and changing the pulley would only add 10 minutes to the operation. For a competent mechanic 2 hours would be more than enough.

Here's a slowed down video showing my pulley when it had failed. The movement is quite subtle and it may run smoothly until under load.

More
04 Feb 2019 09:40 #202529 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Throwing belts!
Thanks all for the info on the pully, interesting overcomplicated device.
I'll add it to my routine checks, video of failed pully is great, dont think I will need my DTI gauge to spot this one.

Weejim, hope you get yours sorted.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds