BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny ddis transfer box

• Huw caps
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 20:47 #202139 by Huw caps
Jimny ddis transfer box was created by Huw caps
Recently bought a suzuki built by t.p it a 1.5 ddis the any idea how to convert the 2wd high and 4wd high to low gear ratios as they are geared to high thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 Jan 2019 17:40 #202200 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny ddis transfer box
Nice machine, the terramax is it?

Im a bit surprised its got standard gearing for those huge tyres. You will need to confirm which gearbox, transfer box, etc are actually in it and what size the tyres are, but TP should be able to provide that information.

Then look at this table in the wiki for what different ratios can be achieved by swapping different parts about... www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...erential_information

I would guess that the easiest thing to swap will be the diffs (assuming its on stanard gearing for K9K engine currently). Then theres the transfer box, but that is more complex with the gearbox you probably have currently.

Use www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html to calculate the gearing more accurately.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Huw caps
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2019 18:18 #202205 by Huw caps
Replied by Huw caps on topic Jimny ddis transfer box
Hi thanks il find out wat gearing so the easiest way to slow it down would to change front and back diff.were would be the best place to get them.thanks for.the help

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
31 Jan 2019 18:38 #202206 by Riccy
Probably on this forum or FB pages. James priestly (J999pre on here) is regularly taking jimnys to bits.
I have 2 pairs of the 4.3 diffs going spare, which are probably what you will need, but check first that is what you want from it (grimjeeper calcs). Redacted is usually the main man for transfer box's, but you need to know where you are starting from (I think Lambert mentioned him).

Obvs, changing the diffs will make low box lower as well as high, but that can be useful. This is also the ideal time to think about locker(s) and HD shafts, possibly even rear disc brake conversion, as well as the obvious wheel bearings, kingpin bearings, etc (though they should all be good in a TP).

The huge tyres are I think speed restricted as well, so check about that before you go mad :laugh:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Huw caps

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
31 Jan 2019 18:42 #202207 by Riccy
Also, of course, it is always worth talking with TP about it and see what they can offer. They built it after all, it should be able to run about without the gearing being awful.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds