BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Carrying Weight in a Jimny

• barkclark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 12:11 #202086 by barkclark
Carrying Weight in a Jimny was created by barkclark
Since my jimny is a work van, I carry a bit of weight in the back more often than not. It handles terribly with weight / old suspension. Since Ive ordered my 2 inch lift with ES3000 shocks. Would i benefit from rear shock locators / or rear spring spacers? Or even spring assistors? Just a little extra height to assist the extra weight in the back? I suppose its the same idea as a heavy rear bumper? Anyone had any experience of this?

Many thanks, Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2019 12:42 #202090 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny
Don't forget that no matter how strong the suspension is you're still subject to the same gvm. That said some people have put front springs on both ends as it lifts the back a bit more to allow it to sit level when loaded.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: barkclark

More
30 Jan 2019 12:48 #202092 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny
Keep an eye on your boot floor as well. Many seem to rust through. Presume you have a sheet of ply down to spread the weight as well?

More
30 Jan 2019 12:59 #202093 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny
For better load carrying and towing I've fitted new standard length shocks and put a pair of front springs on the back. As well as being slightly stiffer it gives a small lift- about 30mm, but barely noticeable. To stop the Jimny lean you either need to chop 3/4 of a coil off the NS rear spring or fit a spacer on the OS front.

A suspension lift will help as the springs will be new and lift springs tend to be stiffer anyway. New shocks are always stiffer than old worn ones, especially Pro Comps. The higher centre of gravity won't help much with cornering though.

Don't fit shock re-locators unless you want to snap off your shock mounts. You shouldn't need spring spacers either.

• barkclark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 17:10 #202113 by barkclark
Replied by barkclark on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny

adrianr wrote: Keep an eye on your boot floor as well. Many seem to rust through. Presume you have a sheet of ply down to spread the weight as well?

Yeah the boot floor seemed good when I checked it as i knew it could rust badly. Its also kitted out with plywood etc

• barkclark
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 17:16 - 30 Jan 2019 17:18 #202115 by barkclark
Replied by barkclark on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny

Busta wrote: For better load carrying and towing I've fitted new standard length shocks and put a pair of front springs on the back. As well as being slightly stiffer it gives a small lift- about 30mm, but barely noticeable. To stop the Jimny lean you either need to chop 3/4 of a coil off the NS rear spring or fit a spacer on the OS front.

A suspension lift will help as the springs will be new and lift springs tend to be stiffer anyway. New shocks are always stiffer than old worn ones, especially Pro Comps. The higher centre of gravity won't help much with cornering though.

Don't fit shock re-locators unless you want to snap off your shock mounts. You shouldn't need spring spacers either.

Thanks for the informative post. It definitely needs a spacer to fix the lean. what size do you recommend?
I was hoping a lift kit would help as for the reasons you have mentioned. The old suspension looks very worn.
Yeah cornering wont be helped but I think renewing suspension (also renewing bushes, drop links, tie rods etc) should be an improvement over what its currently like.
Cheers for the heads up on the shock relocators, not heard of that outcome before.

I'll fit everything i've ordered and see how i get on. Cheers
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 17:18 by barkclark.

More
30 Jan 2019 17:53 #202121 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Carrying Weight in a Jimny
I think the standard size spacer for the OS front spring is 15mm.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds