BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G13BB 1999 Jimny EGR valve unit

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 10:47 #202079 by Owl
G13BB 1999 Jimny EGR valve unit was created by Owl
Hello All, found the EGR had a lot of built up carbon and the inlet manifold orifice is blocked. that said after the clean up, how do i test the EGR valve unit? Ive done the w'shop manual resistance readings and they are within spec. On a visual all looks reasonable but really I dont know if the valve actually opens and shuts as it should?

There are 6 pins on the EGR valve, can anyone help to identify which pin does what? Is there a bench test procedure that i can do to validate that the valve opens and closes? Thanks OWl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2019 11:11 #202083 by Lambert
I don't have direct experience of the g series but on the one i had issues with on a friends m series I just gave it a good clean and made sure it could move manually then put it back on the car and it was fine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Owl

More
03 Feb 2019 11:32 #202438 by Delux
Looking at the wiring diagram if you put 12v to pin 2 and earth pins 1 and 3 the motor should operate one way.
If you power up pin 5 and earth 4 and 6 the valve should operate the other way.
I dunno if this would actually work as any time I have wanted to check an egr valve I have used a diagnostic computer, selected 'actuator test' then operated the EGR that way.

You could make up a plate to block the hole, start the car and watch for the valve operating.

I think you will find carbon has built up round the edge of the valve then fallen off. This uneven surface causes leaks giving the ecu the impression the egr is open when it is not.

Sometimes you can rectify this with a good application of Mr muscle oven cleaner (thats what we use on 2.5 diesel Mitsy L200s)

If there is a problem with the motor it would have probably shown in the reistance check.

I'd be looking more at the carbon build up issue. Is it just a build up over time? Is carbon building up faster than it should?

If it were me, I'd clean out the valve and refit it. Run it for a few days then recheck it.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds