BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Squeaky wipers- pivot bush worn.

More
17 Jan 2019 22:10 #201022 by Busta
My windscreen wipers have a very persistent squeak which I'm certain is caused by a massive amount of play in the arm pivot bushes. Are replacement bushes available or is it a case of replacing the whole linkage?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2019 23:35 - 17 Jan 2019 23:40 #201027 by Max Headroom
Busta when I first got my Jimny (last Feb/March) I had terrible wiper blade squealing and juddering - this is probably not the same issue as you have as you mention you think yours is a worn bush - but the whole wiper blade issues that I did have vanished the moment I fitted those Bosch flat-blade jobs.
Theyre pricey but once I started using them on other cars I've owned they were so effective I now put them on everything; they do seem to make a big difference and certainly cured the issues I had with the Jimny. If you are refreshing your wiper system they could be worth considering if you haven't already got them.

(I've tried the Valeo ones - they're good too and a bit cheaper, but dont last as long)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 17 Jan 2019 23:40 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2019 05:12 #201032 by Lambert
I too had a set of squeaky wipers in the old 2004 Jimny that had a huge amount of slack in the linkage but when I ran it with the blades lifted for all the slack and wobbling it was actually quiet. I changed the blades and it was fine. That said I did eventually replace the linkage with a better second hand set because the blades started to crash into the a pillar.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jan 2019 06:53 #201037 by yakuza
Mine have been squeaky since i bought it. I just lube all i can with a spray on lithium grease and it shuts up for a while.
Works OK and not too much play and slack yet to change it, but sometime...

Bought the wole mechanism on my 2006 VW T5 just to change the motor.
Suprised that it wasn't too expensive brand new, hoping that is the case for the Suzuki one as well.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Jan 2019 07:00 #201038 by yakuza

Max Headroom wrote: Busta when I first got my Jimny (last Feb/March) I had terrible wiper blade squealing and juddering - this is probably not the same issue as you have as you mention you think yours is a worn bush - but the whole wiper blade issues that I did have vanished the moment I fitted those Bosch flat-blade jobs.
Theyre pricey but once I started using them on other cars I've owned they were so effective I now put them on everything; they do seem to make a big difference and certainly cured the issues I had with the Jimny. If you are refreshing your wiper system they could be worth considering if you haven't already got them.

(I've tried the Valeo ones - they're good too and a bit cheaper, but dont last as long)

The Bosch ones do not work on cars with more curved windshields and/or in colder weather. Have been working good until now on my Jimny but the cold weather makes them too stiff so they do not touch the surface except here and there. not a streak in them when it is more than +1C but I will have to change them for the stiffness and not because they are worn so to say...
And on my VW i only use the original ones. Bosch is awful on that car but works ok on the Jimny.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2019 08:14 #201039 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Squeaky wipers- pivot bush worn.

yakuza wrote:

Max Headroom wrote: Busta when I first got my Jimny (last Feb/March) I had terrible wiper blade squealing and juddering - this is probably not the same issue as you have as you mention you think yours is a worn bush - but the whole wiper blade issues that I did have vanished the moment I fitted those Bosch flat-blade jobs.

The Bosch ones do not work on cars with more curved windshields and/or in colder weather. Have been working good until now on my Jimny but the cold weather makes them too stiff so they do not touch the surface except here and there. not a streak in them when it is more than +1C but I will have to change them for the stiffness and not because they are worn so to say...
And on my VW i only use the original ones. Bosch is awful on that car but works ok on the Jimny.

Is that the aerotwin ones? I have the Biltema clearview on mine, and they freeze up _very_ quick when it snows. Was planning to buy the aerotwin`s, but youre comment made me rethink that now..

More
18 Jan 2019 11:08 #201054 by yakuza

OlaGB wrote:

yakuza wrote:

Is that the aerotwin ones? I have the Biltema clearview on mine, and they freeze up _very_ quick when it snows. Was planning to buy the aerotwin`s, but youre comment made me rethink that now..

Have no idea what they were sorry..
They did well when newer I think, might be two years old, but I thought they were just a bit over one year.
Haven't found a marking on them that changes color like on some others so not sure if they are too old..
Helps to put heat on the floor instead of the windshield some say. ice doesn't build up as fast then.

More
18 Jan 2019 11:12 #201055 by Max Headroom
Really??? :huh: :ohmy: :blink: :blink:

I simply just haven't had any issues with the Bosch flat wipers whatsoever - they've always been a vast improvement no matter what temperatures, winter or summer.
The cars I fitted them to with huge success were: Daewoo Matiz, Peugeot 206, Peugeot 208 Convertible, Vauxhall Meriva A, SAAB 93 Convertible, Vauxhall Agila, and more recently the Jimny. The guys I used to lift-share with also had them (Rover 75, Vauxhall Astra & Ford Mondeo) and none of these presented problems or temperature related issues.

Maybe I've just been lucky

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2019 12:01 #201062 by Lambert
Or we don't live in the frozen hell of Hoth!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2019 12:34 - 18 Jan 2019 12:36 #201063 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Squeaky wipers- pivot bush worn.

Lambert wrote: Or we don't live in the frozen hell of Hoth!

Probably spot on :laugh:

I have heard onl positive on the aerotwins though , i will try a set anyway.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 12:36 by OlaGB.

More
18 Jan 2019 12:40 #201064 by yakuza
just about a couple below zero here now, so not that cold.
I have been removing all visible ice from them but they still do not clear the windsheild.
The melting water on the windshield just stays there..

Could be this is the cheapo version of bosch or something?
it is a single blade rubber thing with a spring inside the rubber, looks like the aerotwin I googled.

More
18 Jan 2019 15:58 - 18 Jan 2019 21:01 #201073 by Max Headroom
I will never forget one year being in Norway after finishing the huge NATO excercise "Hardfall" which I'd been doing for 3 solid months (Jan Feb Mar) we were stuck in a "holding area" for days on end, and all the RAF lads were getting pretty angry at the fact that our RAF planes seemed to be flying the British army out of Trondheim, yet here we were living sleeping and eating on the floor of a huge hangar and unable to get out on OUR OWN planes!:angry: :angry: :angry:
The hangar was brightly lit even at night, with different nationalities of troops continually herding in, setting up for a short while before getting called forward and going off again - so it was never quiet and always busy. We were there for days on end it seemed.

What struck me was the name of the place...

Hell :huh:

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 21:01 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds