BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

engine swap m16a vvt

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2018 12:05 #198520 by invincible
engine swap m16a vvt was created by invincible
hey chaps, ive read as much as i could fine about jimny engine options, and am i right in understanding that a suzuki swift 1.6 engine,
M16A VVT will nearly be a straight swap for my existing M13A VVT engine, apart from some parts swapping, like sump , oil filter thread and the ecu should be ok being a vvt engine originally. thought better ask before i go spend £700 on a lump to fit. cheers.L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2018 13:53 #198531 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic engine swap m16a vvt
Correct! Ive done it myself, 07 swift sport motor in a 05/06 jimny. Some pictures in my build thread in my signature.

But ensure you buy a motor older than 2010, as they got a new crank/cam sensor system in 2010/2011, that the Jimny ECU can not work with.

And if you got the money, i believe a dyno tune would be benefical to get the most out of the swap, allthough you dont have to.
I havent done it (yet), but i am considering it. I am conviced theres more power to be had, not just max power but also a stronger low/mid range.
You will be told it`s not possible by some people, but i`ve spoken to 2 companies than say the jimny ECU now can be remapped using K-tag ecu tool.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2018 19:02 #198752 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic engine swap m16a vvt
Cheers olagb, good advice info, does 300cc make much difference though for time and money? what bhp and torque is new engine?
Cheers liam.

More
07 Dec 2018 21:27 #198755 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic engine swap m16a vvt

invincible wrote: Cheers olagb, good advice info, does 300cc make much difference though for time and money? what bhp and torque is new engine?
Cheers liam.

I've put an m16a in mine (but not VVT) and the extra cc's make a load of difference, it's a much better drive. I expect with the extra poke of the VVT it'll be even better. Going up steep hills where I'd usually be flogging it in 2nd gear, it just cruises up in 3rd without any fuss now.

I know there's a couple of people on here who've swapped the VVT engine so one of them might be able to help you out with more details of the swap. But swapping the earlier M16a was straightforward.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

More
08 Dec 2018 11:47 #198772 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic engine swap m16a vvt

ahtr wrote:

invincible wrote: Cheers olagb, good advice info, does 300cc make much difference though for time and money? what bhp and torque is new engine?
Cheers liam.

I've put an m16a in mine (but not VVT) and the extra cc's make a load of difference, it's a much better drive. I expect with the extra poke of the VVT it'll be even better. Going up steep hills where I'd usually be flogging it in 2nd gear, it just cruises up in 3rd without any fuss now.

I know there's a couple of people on here who've swapped the VVT engine so one of them might be able to help you out with more details of the swap. But swapping the earlier M16a was straightforward.

It's the same job with the VVT, no extra sensors or wires. But you have to swap a VVT for a VVT.
It is easier with the Liana engines as all the sensors are the same. You will have to swap to a period correct engine to keep it hassle free.
Mine is a Liana. Higher compression is the only difference.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2018 17:15 #198801 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic engine swap m16a vvt
Thanks guys ill start digging deep on research and hunting for an engine flea bay will be the place eh? it will be a change not being blown near still driving over the a66 in wind!

• sealine150
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2020 12:50 #228676 by sealine150
Replied by sealine150 on topic engine swap m16a vvt
What about intake manifold, throttle body and ECU??

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Oct 2020 15:36 #228682 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic engine swap m16a vvt
Essentially it's a long block swap. If you use the same age donor then everything you have like ecu and manifolds swap over.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds