BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

reversing lights

More
23 Nov 2018 02:33 #198031 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic reversing lights
If you are immediately blowing the new fuse, sounds like you have a short in that circuit.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2018 06:30 #198036 by facade
Replied by facade on topic reversing lights
The earth is at the lamp.
The live feed is through that fuse, along a yellow/black wire to the switch (at the gearbox, or you have moved it inside) then along a red wire to the bulb at the rear.

See it the fuse blows when the switch is off. (short at switch or in yellow wire) A good place for a short is if the gearbox was out and the wire got caught between box & engine, damaging the insulation even if it is removed.

If you have changed the reverse light bulbs, take them out and see if the fuse blows (short on red wire) Some of these eBay bulbs are faulty and shorted inside, how I laughed when I fitted one to the Renault Nee-san and it blew a fuse inside the IPDM that took half an hour to replace with a mirror

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2018 10:28 #198126 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic reversing lights
i,ll check that the wire from gear box to inside has no nips in it, it could have as it stopped working when the box was changed. then it worked temporarily when i put the switch on. the switch is rubbish i think and evn thou its meant to be a momentary one it still sticks on one side!! i,ll leave the switch off a the wires separated, and see if fuse blows and report back! be great to get to the bottom of the problem.
thanks for all help and replies v grateful, cheers guys.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2018 19:34 #198158 by invincible
got it working! i think my metal switch was touching metal and shorting it out , a bit of insulating tape and its still working touch wood!! thanks for all help facade, and guys , really made a headache go away, all wiring as u said facade , colours etc help v much. u must be an auto elec no? thanks again liam

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Nov 2018 09:25 #198220 by invincible
hey up facade, just had a rear led turn up in the post, so am i right in thinking after reading your reply on whats live etc, can i just run one wire from the rear led light to the RED reverse light and the other to earth at the bulb or anywhere else for earth, and it will be ok? the LED is only 18w and only used as a reverse light. thought id ask before i start drilling holes in her again!! cheers Liam.

More
27 Nov 2018 18:21 #198242 by facade
Replied by facade on topic reversing lights
Yes,
that wires the LED unit in parallel with the existing bulb. It is only another 1.5 Amps, so the fuse shouldn't blow or the switch set on fire, most cars have two 21W reverse lamps fitted anyway.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 10:22 #198340 by invincible
thanks, i,ll see if i can get it to work, let the drilling begin!

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 20:23 #198400 by invincible
all went pretty well, between rain down pours stupid wind and it getting dark at 4! i have put a momentary push switch right of the ash tray and an led 18w lamp on the roof, wired into existing reverse wiring all good so far, thanks to all that helped me out with this
esp facade, cheers Liam

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds