BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Radio Aerial

More
04 Nov 2018 16:57 #197299 by jjabbot
Radio Aerial was created by jjabbot
I've managed to snap the second external aerial on my 2002 hard top Jimny!

I'm wondering if anyone has found a successful alternative, either a non suzuki replacement that isn't metal, or an internal solution, stuck to the windscreen?

I read someone had come up with a solution that used the wire demister in the rear glass door! Has anyone tried that?

Would be good to avoid an external aerial as it will only get broken again, as I'm in and out of the woods.

All suggestions gratefully received. Just looking for fm reception don't need DAB .

Thanks John

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2018 17:56 #197301 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Radio Aerial
I had one like this it worked fine
eBay item number:173310682387
The following user(s) said Thank You: jjabbot

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Nov 2018 17:58 - 04 Nov 2018 18:00 #197302 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Radio Aerial
There was a recent post about using a splitter for the CB aerial for FM radio. Cant remember who though :unsure:

Old Ford Sierra's used to have the rear demist aerial thing. It was a box in the boot somewhere, Must be something like that available on ebay or similar?

EDIT:
Forgot to say, I have a DAB radio aerial sticker thing on the windscreen. works ok, but not as well as the roof one on the work van. doesnt do FM however.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 18:00 by Riccy.

More
04 Nov 2018 18:33 #197305 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Radio Aerial

Riccy wrote: There was a recent post about using a splitter for the CB aerial for FM radio. Cant remember who though :unsure:

I'm using one of these in my Jimny through cb aerial.

If you don't have a cb, something like this from Halfords?

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

More
04 Nov 2018 19:08 #197306 by jjabbot
Replied by jjabbot on topic Re:Radio Aerial
Sadly I can't see the items you refer to. Thanks for your reply, is there another way you can point me at the links?

More
04 Nov 2018 19:09 #197307 by jjabbot
Thanks, I'll have a search.

More
04 Nov 2018 20:10 - 04 Nov 2018 20:13 #197309 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Radio Aerial
My neighbours have a DAB radio in their Jimny that Halfrauds fitted.Halfrauds also fitted a very discreet but very effective DAB aerial that is just a thin wire in a clear plastic film, to the top of the windscreen on the passenger side; its hardly noticeable! I'm always amazed at its performance when I've been in their car.
So Halfrauds might have something that could do the job. I have no idea if this aerial will still require the original one or not but I can find out.
A friend of mine at work recommends this place for all car radio stuff... LINK HERE

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 20:13 by Max Headroom.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2018 12:36 #197389 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Radio Aerial
You can get a glass mount auto leads aerial from Halfords that works well.

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...430909&storeId=10001

But you need to earth it (if it’s mounted behind the interior mirror I’d try and use a screw that secures the mirror or the int light) and run a live feed to it from the radio. It it’s an aftermarket radio it’ll have a blue or a blue with a white trace on the aftermarket radio loom that can be used to supply a feed to the aerial, I don’t know if the factory fit radio has a similar “electric” aerial feed. If not an ignition feed from the radio could be used.

I’ve fitted these to a couple of campervans and on an import Subaru where the aerial had been removed and the hole smoothed off. they worked a treat.

Hopefully this is of some help.
T

More
08 Nov 2018 19:42 #197479 by jjabbot
Thanks for everyone's advice. Bought a internal window aerial. It has a very short cable for earth and live feed.

Excuse this question for being dumb, but if I use the rear view mirror fixing screw for the earth, is there any way of using the live wire that supplies the internal light attached to the rear view mirror to provide the live feed to the aerial?

I'm thinking probably not as it will go off if the door is shut, but am I wrong? Otherwise presumably I have to joint the short wire to get a live feed from somewhere else?

Thanks for any tips.

More
08 Nov 2018 20:48 #197489 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Radio Aerial
Jimnys are switched on the earth, so the live should always be live.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2018 13:33 #197718 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Radio Aerial
It’s not too difficult to run the wire to the radio from the new aerial. Just follow the same route you are taking the aerial cable.

The A-pillar trims come off easy just be careful not to loose the little metal clip on the pillar when you pull them off.

I’ve got dash cam wiring and the mic cable all going up the pillar and out at the mirror.

:)

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds