BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Binding brakes, or something else?

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2018 19:53 - 03 Nov 2018 22:29 #197288 by Iaitoo
Binding brakes, or something else? was created by Iaitoo
Hi.

My Jimny has been sitting for a while, because I bought a land rover :P

Anyways, when I went for a drive the other day it started pulling to the left, and smelled burned from the front left side. I was just at a store close to home, so didn't drive far. Tried replacing the glide pins on the caliper, and the same today.
It passed MOT just before I parked it, and it had no such problems then. So I think I can leave wheel bearings out? They were new last year, and I have only driven the jimny about 500km since.

Could it be anything besides the caliper piston binding? I could push it back a bit, but that was a struggle.. When I put the wheel back on after replacing the glide pins, I tried spinning it. And it made a woosh woosh woosh sound.. :P What I mean is that something was touching something, but not all the time when the wheel span.

Took the wheel off after the drive after changing the glide pins. Caliper was really hot. The rim was hot, but the hub itself was not that hot.

Just checking if it could be anything but the caliper, before I buy a new one. I have new brake lines for the front as well, so should probably replace those while I am at it.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2018 22:29 by Iaitoo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2018 22:07 #197289 by 1390_taz
If not driven for some time the rear brakes might be binding due to the hand brake left on.

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2018 22:09 #197290 by Iaitoo
Replied by Iaitoo on topic Binding brakes, or something else?
Yeah, but in this case it's the front left brake, not the rear.

More
04 Nov 2018 00:28 #197292 by 1390_taz
Okay. Caliper piston may be seized. May not be working as it should.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Nov 2018 07:19 #197293 by Lambert
Also check that the pads are free to slide in the hanger, not able to rattle about but able to move smoothly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Nov 2018 12:32 #197317 by Delux
If you can push the piston back in the caliper without too much trouble it is probably the caliper slides.
With the piston shoved back you should be able to pull and push the caliper easily.
In my experience, there is no point trying to determine what side has the problem because if you only fix one side, the other will start to stick!
I would check the pistons and slides either side, if there is a problem strip off both front calipers, remove, clean and lubricate all 4 slides. If they are pretty bad you might need to take the caliper right off and wrestle it out with the caliper in a vise!
While you are in there make sure the pads are not stuck in the caliper carrier. If they have been sticking on the pads may have uneven wear or have overheated, crumbly friction material. Might be worth sticking a set of brake pads in while you are there.
It all sounds like more work than it actually is and I assume you enjoy working on cars given you have bought a landrover, LOL!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
08 Nov 2018 09:47 - 08 Nov 2018 09:49 #197458 by kirkynut
It sounds like a simple seized caliper to me. Just check the sliders are free to be sure.

If you replace one, replace the other to ensure even braking, as has been said.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 09:49 by kirkynut.

More
08 Nov 2018 10:50 - 08 Nov 2018 10:52 #197464 by Max Headroom
It wouldn't cause brakes to pull, but the woosh-woosh sound you can hear when rotating the wheel isn't just the back-plate touching the disc is it?

I had the exact same issue on my SAAB 93 - the back-plate was so badly corroding and the metal exfoliating so when it had been sat for some time it made a proper din! I attacked it with a screwdriver scraping of the exfoliating layers of rust and adjusted (bent) the back-plate further from the disc.

I overhauled my Jimny front brakes the other day thinking I'd got warped discs. The run-out on the discs was minimal to non-existent but I found the slide-pins although in good shape were very dry with old anti-seize grease. I replaced them regardless and used the sachet of grease in the kit and my brakes have been transformed.
Exercising the pistons in the calipers could help, but failing that there is a caliper refurb kit available.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 10:52 by Max Headroom.

More
08 Nov 2018 20:45 #197487 by kirkynut
The whoosh, whoosh noise is the pads continuously rubbing on the disc from the seized caliper not retracting.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Iaitoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2018 21:39 #197534 by Iaitoo
Replied by Iaitoo on topic Binding brakes, or something else?
I know its the front left, as that is where the smoke comes from :P

Could not push the piston back easily. Looked like my tool was about to break, and I moved it 1mm. So I ordered a new caliper.
Already tried replacing the slide bolts before posting, so I know they are good.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Nov 2018 18:50 #197551 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Binding brakes, or something else?
You could try pushing it out a little if still connected to hydraulics and the pads off and see if that helps it to move back more easily.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2018 11:20 #197905 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Binding brakes, or something else?
Some times the flexi hoses collapse internally and act like a one way valve allowing fluid to pass to push the piston out but not allowing it to return causing the piston to lock.

If you can push the piston back with a bleed nipple open then this is where your fault lies.
A new flexi hose is cheaper than a calliper so it’s worth investigating.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds