BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Convert 2" lift back to standard

• Stevie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2018 21:01 #196985 by Stevie
Convert 2" lift back to standard was created by Stevie
Yes, I know, an unusual conversion. Having spent a fair bit getting my Jimny up together (tyres, discs, roof rack, all oils, complete underbody treatment), I’m looking to convert the current 2” lift back to a standard set up. There seems to be plenty of shock choices available (Monroe standard, Monroe 4x4, KYB, Ashika, TRW, Gabriel, Sachs etc), but are there any recommendations for springs, and more importantly, shock specification/valving, that are similar to or better than the originals. If I decide to go ahead, I will offer the Pro Comps here at a giveaway price.

Many thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2018 21:14 #196986 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Convert 2" lift back to standard
Best shock you can get specifically made for the Jimny in standard length are either Bilstein or Koni shocks. Both around £100 each.

• Stevie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2018 21:39 #196987 by Stevie
Replied by Stevie on topic Convert 2" lift back to standard
Thanks TomDK. Yes, shocks are one of those things where price and quality often go hand in hand, and on my other vehicle, the Bilstein coilovers are superb, but after the big outlay so far, I didn't want to spend £100/corner, and then springs on top of that. I was hoping there was something that was Jimny specific that stood out from the crowd at a decent price.

Steve

More
23 Oct 2018 22:01 - 23 Oct 2018 22:04 #196988 by sniper
I'm running KYB road springs, found them to be fine on and off road. KYB produce for a fair chunk of the asian market as an oe supplier, about £200 for the set. AVO dampers have been great but are even more than billies...... A chap on the forum recently bought some Monroe dampers and was pleased with them at £70 a pair.

sniper
Last edit: 23 Oct 2018 22:04 by sniper.

More
23 Oct 2018 23:15 #196992 by Busta
Best to get genuine springs unless you can find a set that has the different spec rear springs to correct the lean. As standard the rear left spring uses thinner wire than the other 3, as well as both rear springs being shorter than the fronts. Most aftermarket suppliers offer the same spring for both sides on the rear, so you will get lean issues.

The easiest option is to look for 2nd hand sets from others who have fitted lifts.

• Stevie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2018 06:50 #196996 by Stevie
Replied by Stevie on topic Convert 2" lift back to standard
Thanks Busta.

With all the lift conversions being done, I’d have expected to find a few standard sets available but there doesn’t appear to be any. Besides, the chances are that these are getting a bit tired by now, and so new is probably better. I remember my Defender has a different spring on each side because Land Rover considered that most of the time a vehicle like the Defender hardtop would only have a driver on board. When you say left rear is a thinner coil, I assume you mean left when viewed sitting in the vehicle. i.e. near side. It’s just that I’ve seen other parts on Jimny sites refer to left and right when looking at the vehicle. Even this website’s shop refers to track end rods as left hand side being the driver’s side. This is confusing because convention is always from the perspective of being sat in the vehicle.

More
24 Oct 2018 07:47 #196998 by Busta
Left as in nearside.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2018 13:18 #197321 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Convert 2" lift back to standard
I recently fitted a set of Monroe Adventure 4x4 shocks on my Jimny. They have improved the ride of the car no end, braking and steering and drive ability all improved. They were a fairly easy fit all round as the bushes are already installed to the dampers and they are of the correct dimensions so no cutting or filing of the bushes was required.

I’m still running my original springs so I can’t be of any help there I’m afraid.
Tony.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds