BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Whirring Sound between 40/50 MPH

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2018 13:07 - 05 Oct 2018 13:09 #196516 by sss360
Whirring Sound between 40/50 MPH was created by sss360
Hi All,

First off an introduction, I've been lurking on the forum for about 6 months but have only just bought a Jimny (57 plate JLX+). We needed a second car mainly to take my daughter to nursery, but I also do a lot of shooting so wanted something that I could drive into fields with B)

It's in pretty good condition, no corrosion in the usual places but I'll be treating the chassis with Buzzweld soon (any reviews on this?)

However, I have noticed a whirring sound between about 40/50 mph when you're in either 4th or 5th gear. It's not the death wobble, it's not majorly loud and it disappears once you hit about 50mph. It sounds like it's coming from behind the driver and it's only there when your foot is on the accelerator i.e. when you take your foot off the noise stops.

I'm wondering if it's just something vibrating, but does anyone have any idea? It's my first 4x4 so it could just be a normal sound and I'm being paranoid.

Cheers,

James
Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 13:09 by sss360.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Oct 2018 17:18 #196521 by Riccy
Welcome along ;-)

Buzzweld is good stuff. does what it says on the tin. I used RCP primer and CIO topcoat together with some cavity wax for the tricky bits. Its been on nearly 3 years and still looks good. Key is good prep, prep and more prep. Need to get as much of the old seam sealer and bitumen crap off as possible.

The noise on the driveline could be gearbox, t-box or diffs, but at 57' plate its probably gearbox. R72 gearbox is a known baddie Im afraid :-( (been there, done that). Check and/or change the oils in all of them to see if levels are low would be a good start. The intermediate prop (gearbox to t-box) is known to leak at the gearbox end, causing the early bearing failure in the gearbox. Checking for signs of oil spatter around that would be a giveaway.

Its also worth going through the procedure to check that the 4x4 actually works and engages both front hubs, goes into low box, etc, before you get stuck in a field somewhere :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2018 20:32 #196523 by sss360
Replied by sss360 on topic Whirring Sound between 40/50 MPH
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I've checked the 4x4 system and all is working as it should, no worries there.

Mine has done 94k miles, I thought that I may have gone past any potential gearbox issues at this point? It's also only in a specific speed band, not a consistent noise in every gear.

I got a passenger to record the noise, if you have time to review the following clip you can hear the noise quite clearly:

Jimny Noise

I can't see any splattering oil, but I'll check the levels tomorrow as you suggest.

Thanks for the help,

James

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2018 20:40 #196524 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Whirring Sound between 40/50 MPH
Hi James, just to make sure there's no transmission wind up, reverse on some gravel letting the wheels slip to unwind if needed. The previous owner may have used 4x4 on tarmac.

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2018 20:47 #196525 by sss360
Thanks for the reply, would that be reverse in 2WD or when in 4WD?

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2018 22:54 #196526 by jim
2WD. I had a whirring after using my Jimny last winter in patchy snow I figured I must have had wind up, I unwound it and no whirring since.

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2018 10:52 #196529 by sss360
Thanks for the suggestion, but after a brisk reverse over gravel the sound is still there.

My gut says this is the start of a bearing issue, but if anyone has chance to listen and has any other idea I'd be grateful to hear them :)

• mr ed
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2018 10:59 #196530 by mr ed
Replied by mr ed on topic Whirring Sound between 40/50 MPH
wind the windows down and see if you can locate the area its coming from, it sounds similar to a noise i had coming from front locking hubs, trying to engage ?

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2018 15:11 #196531 by sss360
It's definitely not the locking hubs, I've tested those and they lock into place as expected. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2018 15:46 #196532 by jim
I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this soon. I'd have a look at prop universal joints for play, transfer box mounts/bushes, gearbox mount.

When my gearbox failed it was 3rd and 4th whined which doesn't sound like yours.

• sss360
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2018 15:55 #196534 by sss360
I'll check all the points you suggest, many thanks for the help.

Fingers crossed it isn't, I can definitely hear it in 5th. In fact it's probably louder in 5th than 4th or 3rd.

The investigations continue!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds