BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clutch Pedal Free Play

• komdan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 09:34 #196430 by komdan
Clutch Pedal Free Play was created by komdan
Hello,
The technical book says to leave about 10mm free play until you feel the resistance of the clutch mechanism.

My question is:
What is the free play? is the really just moving the pedal with your finger with very little force? like pushing keyboard button?
because if i press the clutch i need to apply like 1-2 kg of pressure and then and then i feel it gets even harder at the middle of the way it travels. is that point where it gets harder to push is the start of the mechanism?
i wondered maybe in the jimny the free play is naturally siffer.

the brake pedal however has a free play of a keyboard button pressure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 11:20 #196432 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
Free play is basically taking up the slack in the cable and requires very little force, much like pressing the keys on a keyboard as you say. It is very important, and I suspect not setting it correctly is accountable for a fair few of the clutch problems we see.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 13:08 #196433 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
It is the movement the pedal makes before the clutch starts to disengage. At the other end of its movement the clutch should bite quite soon after the pedal moves. The longer it takes to bite is generally a sign that the clutch friction plate is wearing/worn.

More
02 Oct 2018 13:37 - 02 Oct 2018 13:37 #196434 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
My clutch pedal travel is also "pre loaded" and feels stiffer than just cable slack. It takes force to push it down and then at approx 10mm it noticeably takes even more force to move it further. I assume this is correct and the system has a spring or some device to load the cable to prevent rattle. I guess the force applied before the increase could be described as similar to the pressure required to move a traditraditional piano key, but not a modern electronic piano.
Please indicate the type of piano and key used for the new wiki article "tuning your clutch pedal movement " :laugh:

Only joking, but how stiff is "free play" ?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 13:37 by Scimike.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 13:52 #196435 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
Clutch pedals should not be stiff at all. In fact if you leave your foot on the clutch peddle as a matter of driving style it is possible to cause clutch slip and hence premature wear such is the design of them. If yours is stiff then you have either got a very heavy duty clutch or there is a problem with the system.

• komdan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 14:23 - 02 Oct 2018 15:13 #196437 by komdan
Replied by komdan on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
my clutch has 10k km on it, fairly new.
how do i make a free play? i dont want to make the clutch pedal to be higher than the brake pedal since its nightmare, and the jimny is not comfortable anyway, so i dont wanna make it even worse.

i heard you could release a nut at the end of the clutch cable underneath, however its really tight there and hard to get without a lift. my jimny is stock height. any other way you can create free play without raising clutch pedal?

also , i wanted to mention my clutch doesn't slip or anything no noises, just working normal.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 15:13 by komdan.

More
02 Oct 2018 16:12 - 02 Oct 2018 16:21 #196441 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play

mickt wrote: Clutch pedals should not be stiff at all.

Stiff was the wrong word to use on my part, but the free play on my Jimny (2009) is not as light as a piano key. If I place my hand on the floor and use only my index finger to press down I can't really move the free play, with an additional finger helping I can move the free play to the point at which the clutch starts to open.
If you look at the pedal box (just looked) it has a big spring to return the clutch pedal to the box stops, this needs to be overcome to feel the free play

Back to adjustment. I believe you can only adjust cable free play from under the vehicle at the clutch end. The pedal hight within the car is a function of stops on the pedal box and should not alter with cable free play adjustment. Not sure the pedal box is designed to allow hight adjustment, but it could be achieved but packing the stop gap with washers etc, its a diy solution.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 16:21 by Scimike. Reason: Spotted the big spring in the pedal box which returnes the pedal to the stops.

• komdan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 16:55 #196445 by komdan
Is your clutch genuine? if yes how many km's you did with that stiff pedal?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Oct 2018 17:17 #196447 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
The only place you can adjust the cable is underneath where it enters the bell housing. There is a black plastic nut to adjust it with. Should be slack basically (i.e. not pulling on the release fork). This can be seen by popping off the cover on the gearbox beside the adjuster:

bigjimny.com/mediawiki/images/1/17/Clutc...e_%28unhooked%29.png

have a look at the wiki for more info on a clutch change:

bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Clutch_replacement

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: komdan

• komdan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2018 17:53 #196452 by komdan
Yes, I seen it underneath, my question is how can I easily unscrew the bolt without a lift and with which tool/wrench? Stock height jimny..

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Oct 2018 05:46 #196457 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Clutch Pedal Free Play
The black adjuster shouldn’t need a tool, maybe just some grips to loosen it. Usually only hand tight.

Unless your a really heavy set person you should be able to get under a standard height jimny without a garage lift.

Ramps would work as well. Perhaps this is a job for a garage. I tend to find people asking basic questions like this usually make things under a car worse when they fiddle. Are you sure about doing this yourself? Obviously, no offence intended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
03 Oct 2018 11:29 #196467 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Clutch Pedal Free Play
Sorry, my cable slack example wasn't quite accurate. Free play is when the clutch arm is not putting any pressure on the thrust bearing. There will still be a small amount of tension on the clutch cable. If you have no free play, then clutch springs are not able to exert maximum force on the clutch plates, and you reduce the strength of the clutch. This increases wear on the clutch and can lead to premature failure, or alternatively it gives symptoms that the clutch is worn when it is merely being prevented from engaging fully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: komdan

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds