BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sorry - another vacuum hub issue!

• JakesJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2018 20:36 #195864 by JakesJimny
Sorry - another vacuum hub issue! was created by JakesJimny
Hi guys new to the site and Jimnys but the forum and wiki’s have been very helpful.

Have bought a 2006 manual Jimny for my son as his first car. Just going through a few bits on it to get it ready for him. Planning to lift it, snorkel etc but want to get it up to scratch first.

Have read the hub wiki’s which is excellent as well as every post that mentions hubs or 4wd but my issue is slightly different I think.

NSF hub rubs/grinds like a worn out pad on a disc sound at 20mph +. 2wd and 4wd system seems to all operate as it should with collars moving in and out freely with a light clunk. 4wd dash lights all as they should be unless I try to operate with a hose or hub off. If I remove the sliding collar and gear from the hub and drive again I get no grinding noise, if I swap the loaded hubs between OSF and NSF I still get the noise on the NSF. Have had it jacked up and 2wd / 4wd operate on the button every time.

No play in wheel when jacked up up/down left/right etc. Drives straight with and without the collars in the hub.

It’s almost as if the sliding collar is forced off the magnet during rotation and tries to engage with the gear in the hub? I can’t spin the wheel fast enough on the axle stands to replicate it when stationary unfortunately.

Any ideas greatly received and yes I am planning to go to manual hubs but I don’t like being beaten so this is annoying me now.

Could the vacuum system be pulling the collar assembly without the 4wd switch being pressed and only on one side.

Thanks for any input
Rich

Ps will also be interested in any local 4x4 clubs in and around Berkshire but will check the posts on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Sep 2018 04:01 #195872 by Lambert
Does ths noise vary with steering input? Could be damaged cv joint?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• JakesJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2018 05:14 #195875 by JakesJimny
Replied by JakesJimny on topic Sorry - another vacuum hub issue!
Thanks for the reply. No change with steering input, tried hard left to right swaying and no change. With hub collar and gear removed drives lovely. Also only does it in 2WD. Am going to place something between collar and gear to stop it moving to 100% confirm that’s what I’m hearing. Keep you posted.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds