BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Do I need a new gearbox?

• jimcharwood
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2018 12:35 #195737 by jimcharwood
Do I need a new gearbox? was created by jimcharwood
Hi to anyone who can help! I have a 20015 Jimny VVTS Convertible with push button 4WD. I've had no problems with the 4WD previously but a few days ago the 4WD light came on & won't turn off even though we have pressed every button in different sequences! (It is not is 4WD) There is also a whirring noise . I've no idea what it could be but have been told by a mechanic to just get a second hand gearbox - could it be something simpler? Any suggestions before I bite the bullet & buy a gearbox?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2018 12:58 #195739 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic Do I need a new gearbox?
Well, the 4WD system operates through the transfer case, not the gearbox. This is an entirely separate component. As for what could be causing it. Jimnies do suffer a lot from their front vacuum hubs going (the little black things in the middle of the front wheels). However generally this causes the 4wd system to flash.

What could be causing the jam is an electric actuator in the transfer case that the push button 4wds have. I have heard that they can stick. My suggestion is try another mechanic. There is a way to force the front hubs to unlock, meaning you can drive the car on the road without causing damage. But I am not 100% how you do it myself.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
06 Sep 2018 16:57 #195745 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Do I need a new gearbox?
I second Caelite with get another garage! The gearbox is totally seperate from the 4x4 system, so unlikley to be the problem. Transfer box stuck is likley. someone underneath tapping on the actuator whilst someone inside presses the 2wd button might get it to go back as a simple test

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds