BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Horn wiring help

• Jimny1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2018 21:41 #195158 by Jimny1990
Horn wiring help was created by Jimny1990
I have bought an aftermarket klaxon horn and fitted it but I'm not sure I have installed it right. (It's making the correct sound at the moment)
The new horn has 2 male spade connections and came with 2 female spade connections connected to 2 short sections of wire.
All I did to install it was, cut the old connections off the standard wiring and Solder the short sections of wire with the spade connections on to the end of the old wiring.
Then I just plugged in the connections to the horn and it worked fine .
I noticed the original wiring had a black wire and a white and blue wire. I assumed the black was the negative?
I have seen other horns fitted with just a live wire connected to the horn and the negative earth to the body.
Should I have used a relay ?

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2018 01:18 - 16 Aug 2018 01:26 #195160 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Horn wiring help
There is already a relay in the horn circuit. Unless the new horn has an unusually high draw, just connecting as you did should be fine,

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 16 Aug 2018 01:26 by zukebob.

• Jimny1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2018 05:44 #195163 by Jimny1990
Replied by Jimny1990 on topic Horn wiring help
Thanks for your reply.
What about earthing to the body is this required?
I noticed the horn still worked with the connections the opposite way round. Would this mean there's a wiring fault or just that the motor in the horn is spinning the other way because the polarity has been swapped?
Thanks again

More
16 Aug 2018 07:32 #195167 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Horn wiring help
Ignore the second set of terminals on the horn, it carries a duplicate set for dual wiring.

This would allow two switching circuits, one for the driver and one for a co-driver for instance. Lots of competition cars give the co-driver the ability to switch horn, wipers, washers, lights and so on, from the passenger seat.

Lets two pairs of eyes warn of danger and takes some of the pressure off the driver, as he can ask for assistance and keep his hands on the wheel.

Also, if the horn is fitted as a warning device on machinery (12v safety circuits are the norm) it can have a dual circuit.

sniper

• Jimny1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2018 07:46 #195168 by Jimny1990
The new horn only has 2 connections like the standard horn. Is it just a case of a direct replacement then ?

More
16 Aug 2018 08:11 #195170 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Horn wiring help
Sorry, I completely misread your first.

Yes direct replacement, the black will be negative/earth and unless it's a foghorn, the standard loom will be ok, no separate relay.

sniper

• Jimny1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2018 15:33 #195177 by Jimny1990
Thanks sniper

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds