BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What corrections needed for 40mm lift?

• GRAYWOLF
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2018 14:52 #195412 by GRAYWOLF
Replied by GRAYWOLF on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?
Interesting response, as i had a steering damper on before i fitted the lift kit, i found steering self centred without damper, but with a damper it didnt, or at least a lot slower, which is understandable..due to damping on steering under hydraulic pressure..it DOES actually self align, but a lot slower and stiffer, as to correction bushes what do you suggest then? if, as you say that none ..or most don't have sufficient correction.
I had surmised, that all or most kits for bushing s were in the main, tried and tested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2018 15:39 - 24 Aug 2018 15:41 #195413 by yakuza
I have not tried all of course, but measured the ones i had as i did not feel that the car became as good at self aligning as it was before the lift. After doing som maths and drawing up everything on my PC in CAD and calculating I found the ones I had where a bit short as i suspected.
But my suspension numbers and angle measurements was helped a bit by my friends at the local shop so i got a "green" measurement to show the dept of motor vehicles.
In Norway we have to get everything approved.
Sorry i do not have the sketch here at home with the figures, but i can find this at work on Monday.
I do not remember what kinds i bought, but they are all more or less the same offset.
I did not get a steering damper until much later.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2018 15:41 by yakuza.

More
24 Aug 2018 15:42 #195414 by yakuza
however for your 40mm lift the 2" or 50mm lift correction bushes should be just about fine I guess..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 Aug 2018 02:16 #195417 by zukebob
Ramon

I didn't use spacers on the front to level it but my situation may be a little different than yours. When I decided on the OME, I made a special purchase on the diesel front springs (part 2969) which have a significantly higher spring rate than what most people in the PI buy (part 2965). I am fairly sure that my front springs aren't compressing as much as yours. There was still a little bit of a forward lean but it wasn't enough to react to.

As far as the caster correction, I am with the majority that your lift didn't need it. I felt no difference in steering when I went with the OME. That said, since you already have the correction bushings installed, and the car apparently handles reasonably, keep them. In my case it may be that when I went with the OME "40mm lift", I wasn't looking for lift at all. I have steel front and rear bumpers and I was looking to "re-tune" my suspension. As I came back to approximately stock static height, I considered myself fairly successful (except for the front being a stiffer suspension than I wanted). Also, coming back to stock height, my caster angle should be correct.

I also have a steering damper and it did help a lot with our roads here.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: ramonmaruko

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2018 05:40 - 27 Aug 2018 05:42 #195442 by ramonmaruko
Replied by ramonmaruko on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?

yakuza wrote: Another thing is that most correction bushes for 2" lift does not correct the castor fully as they have too little correction.

Do you think the JimnyBits caster corrected radius arms for a 3" lift would be better than my current Ironman bushes?

zukebob wrote: I made a special purchase on the diesel front springs (part 2969) which have a significantly higher spring rate than what most people in the PI buy (part 2965).

Can you confirm the part number that is on tags on the rear springs? Should it have said 2967 for LHD units such as ours? My tags for the rear and front are 0615 and 0715 respectively.

I also noticed a few things with how the springs are installed on my Jimny. 3 out of 4 of the springs are not touching the spring seat end... Should I be worried about this? I noticed that at speeds of about 50km/h, the Jimny doesn't drive straight; but follows a wavy line.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2018 05:42 by ramonmaruko.

More
27 Aug 2018 06:59 #195446 by jackonlyjack
I run 3" castor arm's front and rear with a 2" lift
And it's perfect in my opinion steering self centers,rear shocks mount as they should,rear springs do not catch anything
I just fitted a disco 1 damper on own made brackets
Steering still self centers. Only reason I fitted it was the 225/75/16' s I have on now are a little bouncey at 20psi

Jack

More
27 Aug 2018 07:27 #195447 by zukebob

Ramonmaruko wrote: Can you confirm the part number that is on tags on the rear springs? Should it have said 2967 for LHD units such as ours? My tags for the rear and front are 0615 and 0715 respectively.

I also noticed a few things with how the springs are installed on my Jimny. 3 out of 4 of the springs are not touching the spring seat end

I don't have the tags on the springs anymore but I wrote down the additional numbers in case I needed them later. The 2967 (rear) had 0815 along with the 2967. My 2969 diesel front springs also had 1215 on them. Honestly, I'm really not sure what the second set of numbers is for. I guess just make sure that the rear really is 0615 and not 0815. I wrote mine down before I installed them (and they got muddy and worn).

As far as the springs go, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that 3 out of 4 aren't sitting in their spring perch. I have to be honest that I'm not even sure how that is possible. Can you post some pictures?

More
27 Aug 2018 09:32 - 27 Aug 2018 10:00 #195449 by yakuza

ramonmaruko wrote:

yakuza wrote: Another thing is that most correction bushes for 2" lift does not correct the castor fully as they have too little correction.

Do you think the JimnyBits caster corrected radius arms for a 3" lift would be better than my current Ironman bushes?

I have no idea how much any of them actually offset so i would not know.

Acc. to my measurements and sketch, the bushings should have approx 5.6mm offset to compensate for a 50mm lift.
anywhere between 5 to 6mm will do the job I guess to better the angle.
Probably the makers choose less offset to retain more rubber on the thin side, i don't know.
I do not remember what mine was or what kind, but they had much less offset.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2018 10:00 by yakuza.

More
27 Aug 2018 11:25 #195450 by jackonlyjack
I could not say if the arm's would be better
I went for the arm's just in case I wanted to go taller in the future
They are a little longer over standard arm's and it has to be better with a bush without a thin side
If you have the money to buy all four arm's and do so you will not be disappointed with the ride feel

Jack

More
27 Aug 2018 11:35 #195453 by jackonlyjack
Here's the rear shock bush it sits very well
Alignment is near perfect

Jack
Attachments:

• ramonmaruko
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2018 07:06 - 28 Aug 2018 07:06 #195480 by ramonmaruko
Replied by ramonmaruko on topic What corrections needed for 40mm lift?

zukebob wrote:

Ramonmaruko wrote: Can you confirm the part number that is on tags on the rear springs? Should it have said 2967 for LHD units such as ours? My tags for the rear and front are 0615 and 0715 respectively.

I also noticed a few things with how the springs are installed on my Jimny. 3 out of 4 of the springs are not touching the spring seat end

I don't have the tags on the springs anymore but I wrote down the additional numbers in case I needed them later. The 2967 (rear) had 0815 along with the 2967. My 2969 diesel front springs also had 1215 on them. Honestly, I'm really not sure what the second set of numbers is for. I guess just make sure that the rear really is 0615 and not 0815. I wrote mine down before I installed them (and they got muddy and worn).

As far as the springs go, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that 3 out of 4 aren't sitting in their spring perch. I have to be honest that I'm not even sure how that is possible. Can you post some pictures?

I didn't notice that there were other numbers on the other side. I removed and cleaned the tags to get a better view, and it seems like I got the correct springs installed. 2963 front and 2967 rear.

I took a picture but it doesn't show it clearly. Basically, there's a 5-10mm gap between the seat end (don't know the correct term) and the spring end.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tenqtxvw8t2FYhLt7

Compare this to a spring install I found in YouTube (around 2:51):
Last edit: 28 Aug 2018 07:06 by ramonmaruko.

More
28 Aug 2018 08:06 #195481 by zukebob
OK. The picture is clear and I understand what you are saying. I originally thought you were saying between the bottom of the coil and the base it sits on (spring perch). You are referring to the end of the coil and the rise on the perch. I don't believe a 5 to 10 mm gap there should be an issue or cause the steering issue you mentioned. My brother-in-law is using the Jimny and I will check what mine look like in the morning. Is your Jimny relatively stock except for the OME suspension and caster correction?

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds