BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine overheating & losing coolant

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2018 18:24 #195543 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Engine overheating & losing coolant
You can run it without a thermostat and check. But I would remove the rad and then with the stat out, but the hose connected, reverse flow the system remembering to have the heater on and give the block a good flush. Also reverse flush the rad too. Somebody might have used something in the rad to cure a leak and that can cause problems if too much has been used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mithrass
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2018 10:16 #195557 by Mithrass
Replied by Mithrass on topic Engine overheating & losing coolant
That's how I found out the thermostat was broken. Took me a while to realise that I should not have been able to reverse flush the engine with the thermostat in place. Trouble is, the flush water runs clear but when you look inside it's still coated with crud from the oil leak, I'll try washing up liquid.
I should get the new thermostat tomorrow, then I can check how the radiator heats up.
Thanks for your help.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2018 10:18 #195558 by mickt
Have you not flushed the rad then?

• Mithrass
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2018 11:44 #195559 by Mithrass
Yes - I flushed it while I had it out, but I can't see a way to tell if it's clear apart from running the engine to see how evenly it heats up.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Aug 2018 18:42 - 30 Aug 2018 18:42 #195584 by mickt
Did the flow seem restricted at all? If not then yes the only way will be to run the engine. I would do it without the stat first though.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2018 18:42 by mickt.

• Mithrass
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2018 10:53 #195602 by Mithrass
Yup - good idea.
The new thermostat arrived this morning so I should be able to get the car together today. I agree some more flushing first would do no harm.
Curiously, the new thermostat - recommended by martin at BJ - is quite different from the old one, even allowing for the distortion. Conclusion: either a) the wrong thermostat was fitted before, b) the new one is the wrong part, or c) both are compatible. It would be good to check the part number against the engine BOM but I can't find the information anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds