BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Starter motor removal

• vmk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2018 07:10 #194732 by vmk
Starter motor removal was created by vmk
Hello,

first post here but have been reading BigJimny for a while and found lot's of useful information and tips. I hope some of you can help me now as well as I'm having some issues starting my Jimny.

I figure the starter motor is the problem as I have tried 2 different batteries and cleaned the wiring connections and grounds. You can hear it tick but it does not engage and start the engine (some percussive maintenance helped before but seems to now no longer do the trick).

I actually want to see if I can replace the starter and have disconnected all the wires and removed the top and bottom retaining bolts. It now slides out a bit but I cannot pull it out all the way - it seem to snag. I am assuming it should slide out with little force. I wonder if those of you who have replaced your starter have any tips - maybe I should twist it in some (undocumented) way or taking it out takes more force than I think. I figured I'd ask here first before I start looking for a hammer.

Note that there is a G16A in this Jimny (I did not install this myself) - I am currently thinking the adapter plate is causing the starter to be stuck but I am curious to what you all think. Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jul 2018 07:39 #194733 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Starter motor removal
The starter sits with two bolts.
If both are removed it should come right off.

More
31 Jul 2018 08:37 #194735 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Starter motor removal
If you remove the intake manifold you will access the starter easier. Even though it is a lot of nuts and bolts and stuff you might save time removing it. at least if you don't have a lift for better access from underneath.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds