BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Driving on a knackered kingpin bearing

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2018 00:50 - 21 Jun 2018 12:44 #193692 by Caelite
Hey guys

Looking some advice, what risks are involved in driving on an assumed knackered kingpin bearing. My swivels has been leaking diff oil for the last few weeks. I've been meaning to change them with a friend but scheduling just hasn't allowed for it.

Issue is I've got a trip planned next week, about 1000 miles all in from Scotland down to the south coast of England and back. I am just curious if there is a risk of catastrophic failure or damage to other components. Journey will be 99% motorway sat at 60-65mph.

Currently my vehicles symptoms are leaking swivels, and a very slight intermittent resistance in steering turning lock to lock. It did have a mild wobble at 45mph but that had all but entirely disappeared since I changed my wheels and tyres (alloys with 205/70r15 Bridgestone duallers to stock steels with 205/75r15 GG AT3s)

Thanks
CAE
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 12:44 by Caelite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2018 06:39 #193696 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Driving on a knackered kingpin bearing
I picked my Jim up about 3 months ago with 4 brand new tyres, i found the nearside front caliper partially seized and as i took the wheel off i noticed play in the kingpin bearings, i put this job on the back burner while sorting more pressing jobs.
Since then after about a 1000 miles i have noticed the n/s/f tyre has scrubbed to the outer edge, i am putting this down to a knackered king pin bearing.

More
24 Jun 2018 15:15 #193789 by kirkynut
I think my main worry if you have no death wobble is the axle oil dripping enough to get on the brake discs.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Jun 2018 16:48 #193790 by X8GGY
My main worry is... you’re asking on an open public forum whether it’s worth the risk of driving a thousand mile round trip in a known ‘defective’ vehicle...?!

Errr... NO!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2018 20:15 - 24 Jun 2018 20:16 #193795 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Driving on a knackered kingpin bearing
Agree with Dave get it fixed first for your own peace of mind too.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 20:16 by Daniel30.

More
29 Jun 2018 15:42 #193859 by kirkynut

S200KYS wrote: My main worry is... you’re asking on an open public forum whether it’s worth the risk of driving a thousand mile round trip in a known ‘defective’ vehicle...?!

Errr... NO!

Lol! Absolutely!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds