BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Noises - Checklist

More
02 Jun 2018 15:54 - 02 Jun 2018 15:55 #193151 by furo
Noises - Checklist was created by furo
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out as I investigate some noises my Jimny has been making. Over the past 3 years it has developed a couple of different noises - a low pitched clunk and a higher pitched click that seem to come from underneath the centre of the car, as well as an occasional squeaking sound. I tend to hear them most when it flexes coming out of my underground parking or when I go over speed bumps, but they can happen at any time. Details of my vehicle are in my signature.

So far I have inspected the two transfer case mounts and can't find an obvious problem with them (although they are coated in dinitrol). Movement in the transfer case is minimal. I have replaced the rear engine mount, which was knackered, but that has not made a difference to the noises. I have manhandled the props to see if there is any movement but there is not. I have tried to move my radius arm guards by hand and they don't seem loose.

Can anyone suggest an alternative cause for these noises? What should I check next? Also - I'm not confident that I have checked the transfer box mounts/UJs thoroughly - what exactly should I be doing?

Thanks in advance!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 15:55 by furo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Jun 2018 16:15 - 02 Jun 2018 16:16 #193153 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Noises - Checklist
Forgot to say... you can't feel the play in the prop UJ when its on the car. take it off and check for play is the only way :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 16:16 by Riccy.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2018 15:40 #193169 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Noises - Checklist
Have you checked all the exhaust fittings, hangers etc?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2018 15:42 #193170 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Noises - Checklist
Have you checked all the exhaust fittings, hangers etc?

Not much room around the back for the back box and the rubbers stretch so even if they don't look bad there might be to much movement in them.

More
04 Jun 2018 11:16 #193195 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Noises - Checklist
Riccy - ah right thanks! I'm afraid taking it off the car is not in my comfort zone lol

Daniel30 - thanks! I have a custom stainless exhaust so I assumed it was fine (only a year old) but I will check it out

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
04 Jun 2018 12:38 #193197 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Noises - Checklist
Nip up the radius arm mount bolts. You cannot put enough force on them to test them by hand and they can move in their holes, causing the holes to elongate.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
04 Jun 2018 12:57 #193199 by furo
Thanks! What do you mean by nip up - tighten them?

More
06 Jun 2018 09:01 #193244 by furo
Hi kirkynut - I have tightened up the radius arm bolts and each nut did a few full rotations, but the noise is still there. It does seem to be coming from them. What do you suggest I do next? If the holes are elongated how do I fix that, will they have to be welded? Thanks!

More
10 Jun 2018 18:41 #193355 by furo
I have removed the radius arm guards and thankfully none of the holes are elongated. I put the bolts back in without the guards and went for a test drive, but unfortunately the noises are still there. I also triple checked the transfer box mounts and checked the shock bolts. Any suggestions for what I should check next?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds