BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

AVM Locking wheel hubs

More
01 Jun 2018 03:33 #193110 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
Had a chance to check on my Jimny again. I would like to post pictures for clarity but for some reason I'm having problems doing so. Hopefully you can follow Kayjay.

I should first mention that I wouldn't post pictures of most of my AVM hub measurement since they are identical to yours. That said, I measured (as well as I could) the dimension from the hub head mounting surface (on the hub) to the outer surface on the vacuum seal. It appears to be about 7mm. The dimension on the hub head that you show for the pocket depth from the lip is 12mm. The measurement from the lip to the mounting surface on the hub head is 4mm. Therefore from the mounting surface on the hub head to the surface in the recess that is making contact with something should be about 8mm. Even without a gasket, that should be a 1mm clearance. It should be slightly more with the gasket. Seems a little closer than I would design but it should work.

It would only take the hub nut (and vacuum seal) sitting a little proud for it to make contact with the hub head in the location you indicate. If anyone would like to double check my measurements (it was a little awkward) I would welcome the sanity check.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2018 05:48 #193113 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
did not get the time yesterday to check my SJ hubs as had to stay late at work and had guests coming around for dinner yesterday.
I'll try again tonight :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2018 15:50 #193125 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:AVM Locking wheel hubs
I’m following this thread as manual locking hubs are on my shopping list. Is there any identifying marks/ part numbers on the actual avm hub? Avm 438 does the earlier Jimny model and the older SJ. Is it possible you have been supplied with the wrong Jimny locker?
Pic taken from avm’s web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2018 17:55 - 01 Jun 2018 17:58 #193127 by kayjay
Replied by kayjay on topic Re:AVM Locking wheel hubs
No there are no identifying marks/ part numbers on the actual avm hub, aside from the 'Made in Brazil' stamp. This is a great, great pity. AVM's website is little use either. Maybe I wouldn't be having all this trouble in working out the problem

Although it does confirm the correct model for my 2006 Jimny is th 457
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 17:58 by kayjay.

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2018 16:00 #193152 by kayjay
After all the posts this week (thank you all) I decided to do some more accurate measurements. I think this shows exactly why the hub is binding solid when the bolts are tightened.

Here is the existing car side showing the inner dia (D) of 60mm and that it protrudes (C) 8.67mm from the flange.

The photos below show the AVM side that must fit onto the above. Dimension (A) 57.45mm is narrower than (D) by 2.55mm. Given that dimension (b) is 7.44mm and dimension (C) is 8.67mm, some 1.23mm longer, its obvious that the binding will occur in the area indicated.

As a test I used 1.25mm washers to space out the two parts and no binding occurs. If others agree that their Jimny hub dimensions (C and D) are as mine then my AVM hubs would not fit them either. If so then there must be errors in the manufacturing of my AVM457 hubs and I should return them.

Also I cannot see how the locking collars are ever going to work given that they break up when tightened.
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2018 16:46 #193154 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:AVM Locking wheel hubs

kayjay wrote:
Also I cannot see how the locking collars are ever going to work given that they break up when tightened.

They can't work, as those hubs have straight holes.
The conical washers are to fill up the conical holes that you haven't got. The head of the bolt stops on the flange, and the cone washer compresses into the hole, closing up the split in the washer .

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2018 17:37 #193156 by kayjay
No! my AVM457 hubs have conical holes. At around 20ft/lb they start to break. See earlier photo. Other contributors have reported conical and others report straight holes and standard lock washers. It seems the design has changed at some point

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jun 2018 20:26 #193160 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:AVM Locking wheel hubs
This confirms that you've got a Jimny box with sj hubs in it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2018 16:45 - 04 Jul 2018 20:17 #193963 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic AVM Locking wheel hubs
Just for info that might help you if you’ve not already worked it out. I just fitted a set of avm 457hp hubs to my car, when the selector is off the free hub it looks like the model number is in the casting

Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 20:17 by NineCherries.

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2018 16:56 #193964 by kayjay
Strange I don't recall seeing that on my hubs. In any case I had to send them back for refund. Even if they fitted correctly the locking collets were a big issue. How did yours take 35ft/lb torque?. I got a set of TREX hubs, better made and cheaper but did have to get my own bolts as they seem to believe that I should use the original ones but they are way to long. Only fitted them yesterday and was going to update this thread

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2018 20:21 #193970 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:AVM Locking wheel hubs
Yeah I had read 48nm for the bolts too. I didn’t have a torque wrench that goes low enough so I have done them tight and I’ll check them next time I’m over at my friends. 48 on those little cone washer things gives me the fear.

Anyway glad you got yours sorted, and I’m looking forward to hear how yours perform. Tyre x hubs were on my short list but I think I found a good deal on my reinforced avm hubs. Hopefully it works out for both of us :)

• kayjay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2018 20:40 #193971 by kayjay
Yes will do. I linked out the vacuum switch so that the green light stops flashing and the ABS knows that 4WD is selected.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds