BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dashcam fitting

• tomlinson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 07:25 #192957 by tomlinson
Dashcam fitting was created by tomlinson
Hi All,

I'm looking to wire a dashcam into the fusebox with a kit from Halfrods. Anyone have experience with these as in which fuse to put it into or any other advice?

I preseme i use the fusebox under the driver side foot box...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2018 11:12 #192958 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Dashcam fitting
Does one of them wires have a in line fuse ?
If yes no need to connect to fuse box
Just pick up a live feed from cigarette lighter/radio or ignition

More
26 May 2018 11:22 #192959 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Dashcam fitting
You just need to find a live that is only live when the ignition is on. Or an earth that is only earthed when the ignition is on with the Jimny as most of the electrics are switched via the earth.

I personally would use that on my to switch a relay and give it it's own fused power. That way you cannot overload whatever you are stealing the power from and it has it's own fuse. You can buy relays with a fuse holder built in.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• tomlinson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 14:36 #192961 by tomlinson
Replied by tomlinson on topic Dashcam fitting
Hi and thanks. Yes the fuse insert does have a fuse on it. According to the instructions is piggybacks a fuse that is used once power is on. I've wired it into the washer (wiper) fuse and earthed it to the speaker screw that attaches to the main body work. All seems to work fine.
Below are some pictures of what I did in case it's any help to anybody, though I would add the disclaimer that I'm not much of a tech wiz like some of the folk on here. Anyhow I've always wanted to give something back to this fantastic forum!
Arrow in this image is the piggyback fuse unit. One slot seems to be for the power supply and the other is for the washer 15 fuse:
Attachments:

More
29 May 2018 06:10 #193015 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Dashcam fitting
That's a neat solution. My only concern is that the wire feeding that fuse is rated only for the wipers and Suzuki haven't historically used the best quality wiring!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• tomlinson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2018 08:03 #193019 by tomlinson
Replied by tomlinson on topic Dashcam fitting
Oh. Do you think I should use one of those spare slots? I guess I could test if it is 'live on ignition' just by seeing if the cam has power when the keys out?
I can't seem to find an accurate diagram of what's live and what's not in the Suzuki manual.
The hard wire instructions did say the fuse it connects to doesn't matter as long as it's live on ignition? Do you think that can be trusted.
Thanks for your advice.

T

More
29 May 2018 10:12 - 29 May 2018 10:13 #193024 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Dashcam fitting
You might find this is a ad-hoc solution but I have connected a four way splitter for the cigarette socket to the cigarette socket wires inside my dashboard and hidden it behind the glove compartment. Here i have plugged in the cam, an outside temperature display, the TomTom GPS, and sometimes the CB when i go to offroad meets.
The fuse is still the original one.

this leaves the original 12v socket free for a mobile phone charger or whatever..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 29 May 2018 10:13 by yakuza.

More
05 Jun 2018 21:54 #193236 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Dashcam fitting
I've hard-wired a dash-cam into the wife's Vauxhall Meriva.
It was very simple and easy to do and all I used was a "piggyback fuse" taking power from a relatively unimportant and little-used source (the rear wiper), some suitable automotive wire, some crimp connectors, and an accessory cigarette-lighter socket. It cost about one or two £ in total, and about 40 mins work neatly routing the cable, connecting it up and testing it.
It's now been in the car for several years, works faultlessly, and is far better than having power sockets all over the place and wires draped around the dashboard.

Some people are a bit afraid to use a piggy-back fuse but they are 100% safe even when wired incorrectly; there is a very good YouTube article discussing this and even wiring it in all possible incorrect ways to prove/disprove the theories (I'm at work at the moment and YouTube is blocked otherwise I would put a link to it)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
30 Jul 2021 12:56 - 30 Jul 2021 12:57 #237159 by Coco BT
Replied by Coco BT on topic Dashcam fitting
hi 
Has anyone hardwired their dashcam to a gen 4 or 5 recently? 
where's the fuse box and which is the best fuse to piggyback?

Many thanks 
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 12:57 by Coco BT.

More
30 Jul 2021 13:26 - 30 Jul 2021 13:27 #237161 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Dashcam fitting

Coco BT wrote: hi 
Has anyone hardwired their dashcam to a gen 4 or 5 recently? 
where's the fuse box and which is the best fuse to piggyback?

Many thanks 

Ok let me google for you.

www.google.com/amp/s/fuse-box.info/suzuk...imny-2018-2020-fuses
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 13:27 by lookonimages.

More
30 Jul 2021 16:05 #237163 by Coco BT

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds