BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display

More
02 Jun 2018 18:33 #193158 by jackonlyjack

mlines wrote: I also have one and I am suspicious that mine is flattening the battery. Since having it the car has been used twice and each time it was flat. The first time I simply wondered if I had left the interior light on. The second time I knew all systems were off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi Martin whats the one you have make and model
I can't find the original thread thanks

Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2020 23:48 #228691 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display

mlines wrote: I also have one and I am suspicious that mine is flattening the battery. Since having it the car has been used twice and each time it was flat. The first time I simply wondered if I had left the interior light on. The second time I knew all systems were off.

Thanks for the heads-up, Martin!
I left my X50+ the Box and went for a GPS - Accy Socket powered - analogue Speedo.

More
03 Oct 2020 11:25 #228719 by DrRobin
I think all new cars in the UK since 2000 have an OBD socket, but t might be in the engine bay. I have a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle fitted to my 2011 Jimny and another fitted to my other car which is from 2001. The dongle sends data to an Android Head unit. There is all sorts of data available, I am using Torque Pro. The same dongle can also send to phones, the iPhone is now supported, I think, but it didn’t use to be.

I would need to check if oil temperature is supported, water temperature certainly is.

I am not aware of the dongle draining the battery with the ignition off, the LEDs go off the dongle when you switch the ignition off and the head unit looses the Bluetooth so if it is still drawing current it must be minimal.

Dongles are about £8-15, but you will need to use your phone or head unit.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
03 Oct 2020 11:28 #228720 by DrRobin
Just checked OBD2 became mandatory on all new cars in the US from 1996, so I guess cars in UK/Europe probably also got them at the same time.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Oct 2020 12:32 #228723 by Lambert
Suzuki were late to the game with obd2 and the early g13b cars are a proprietary system and very difficult to talk to.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2020 19:20 #228744 by GeorgeC
Nice to see all the new comments and updated equipment.

I should point out where I am coming from with my previous post. The OBD2 Reader in the review has limitations. It is hard wired and when I counted the number of wire conductors in the harness from the OBD Plug (under the dash) to the X50+ Head unit, it is one wire short, as in missing. On checking the harness end to end, two functions have been made common on one wire, this may be how the head unit is designed and be one reason for the battery to discharge when the Ignition is switched off.

When the Suzuki Tech Support rep visited my home about 12 months back, I asked about using the X50+ as a Speedo as I had just bought one for that purpose. The chap said not to plug any ODB device into a Jimny OBD socket as most devices were not compatible and I should use the 12V Accessory Socket to power a supplementary GPS Speedo, which I did.

I hope all that helps.

• new2jimny20
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2020 00:35 #228761 by new2jimny20
Replied by new2jimny20 on topic Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display
Hello all...I'm new here and from Canada. I just purchased a 1998 Jimny and was wondering if anybody knows where or if I can buy a OBD2 for it? My engine is a F6A. I have searched but not certain if I can get one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2020 02:21 - 04 Oct 2020 02:24 #228762 by GeorgeC

new2jimny20 wrote: Hello all. I'm new here and from Canada. I just purchased a 1998 Jimny and was wondering if anybody knows where, or if, I can buy an OBD2 for it? My engine is a F6A. I have searched but not certain if I can get one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Your car is too early for OBD2, see this page for better information for your model: www.rhinopower.org/
Last edit: 04 Oct 2020 02:24 by GeorgeC.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds