BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4x4 problems

• Ellis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2018 08:35 #191937 by Ellis
4x4 problems was created by Ellis
Hi Guys,

I'm new to your forum and want to say a big thanks for the in depth descriptions you guys have put on here. So far using this site I have replaced king pins (both sides with seals bearings) wheel bearings, cv joint drivers side, all fluids and repaired the swivel balls back to like new and block off the old vaccume system. I am in debt to you all.

The problem I have is when I select 4 wheel drive and crawl at 2-3 mph and put any lock on I get a banging noise from the hubs. ( that's why I replaced the cv joint) I actually had the diff fully off the car and cleaned the internal s and everything looked fine.

I have since put the 4 wheels in the air on axle stands and drove all 4 wheels to see if t all selects and works properly ( it all spins as it should with no load )

I then put it in 4x4 and on a steep hill set some ramps up and covered them in water and tried to reverse up them ( thinking if the 4x4 works under load in a straight line then it would still reverse up the wet ramps as the front wheels would drive even if the rears were slipping)

The rear wheels spun and the fronts did not drive at all.

The 4x4 light was not flashing at all so I'm sure it was engaged, the hubs are manual free hubs and they seem to lock fine ( while all 4 wheels off the floor and in gear running I grabbed a wheel and it made the other drive, did the same for a all wheels )

My thoughts are do I 1) strip out all the diff gears and bearings to see if that looks goosed 2) replace or strip down the free hubs 3) strip down the transfer box.

I'm honestly lost at this point, hope you guys can help it sorry for the long explanation just thought it would get everyone to speed on where I am at. Many many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2018 16:07 #191951 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic 4x4 problems
When you heard the banging, were you on a high grip surface? By this I mean anything not very slippery, like wet mud or grass? If so you were causing transmission wind up because there's no centre diff and the noise was the wind up releasing.

When you did your ramp test, could you see both front wheels to know that one wasn't spinning?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Ellis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2018 16:25 #191953 by Ellis
Replied by Ellis on topic 4x4 problems
Hi thanks for the reply, the answer to the first question is sadly yes it was dry tarmac so I hope I haven't done any damage but it was only for a few seconds. And the second question I had someone watch all my wheels and the only wheels to spin were the rear ones. I hope this helps. Again thanks

More
21 Apr 2018 10:18 - 21 Apr 2018 10:47 #191981 by kirkynut
I doubt you've done any damage to the diffs and would not look to be stripping it down to that extent yet.

Is it the old lever transfer box or push button?

If push button there's a chance the solenoid in the transfer box isn't always working. They're not un-reliable though.

If you have no issues with steering I think your CV joints are ok but you'd need to Jack the front up and pop it in 4wd and see if the wheels spin in opposite directions to confirm that the diff is ok and not sounding bad.

Drop it back on the ground in 4wd and try to turn the front prop by hand. You shouldn't be able to. If you can, with the engine off, put it in gear and try again, you really shouldn't be able to turn the front prop by hand then.

It's then a matter of working out where the problem is. If you have a lever transfer box there's not a lot to go wrong with the manual hubs.

It's tricky not being there to fiddle for myself to check it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 21 Apr 2018 10:47 by kirkynut.

• Ellis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2018 09:17 #192054 by Ellis
Replied by Ellis on topic 4x4 problems
Thanks for the reply kirkynut, it turns out I must have been selecting 4x4 on the manual hubs wrong as the last time I tried it, it will worked perfectly.

I then took it to a green lane and it all works fine with no clunks at all so I have learnt a few lessons over the last couple of weeks. Make sure you know how to use something before you decide it is broken. Could have saved a fair few hours rebuilding the front end but I did get to rust proof it and solve the death wobble problem so still happy.

More
24 Apr 2018 17:22 #192120 by kirkynut
At least you're highly competent at re-building the front axle now!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds