BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

clunking noise only from take-off

• G-rae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 15:27 #191623 by G-rae
clunking noise only from take-off was created by G-rae
There is a sound, clunking/heavier than ticking/ratchet like, happens only when pulling off in 1st gear and more prominent when turning left. Had
a mechanic have a look and he initially thought cv joint but now reckons it could be a chipped tooth in the gearbox! Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2018 17:07 #191625 by Riccy
What year of Jimny is it?

If before 2005 (not VVT/with stick shift 4x4) then is more likley to be the transfer box than the R7me gearbox (T-box chain slipping sounds like you describe), would be under load setting off or if booting it in 1st or second.

after 2005 & VVT/push-button 4x4 would be the R72 gearbox (which seems to be the current fashionable thing to fail).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: G-rae

• G-rae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2018 18:20 #191633 by G-rae
Replied by G-rae on topic clunking noise only from take-off
It's a 2000 Jimny. Will that mean it'll need a new/second hand T-box? If I continue to drive will it eventually seize. Will it be expensive to have fixed. You may notice I have no idea on these things!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Apr 2018 18:26 #191634 by Riccy
Yes (if thats the cause). And yes & no. If the t-box chain fails then it all depends. more likley its slack and gears are worn so would continue to run but get worse and eventually slip all together. If the chain breaks then it could be a brown trouser moment :laugh:

Take the front and rear props off the t-box, put gearbox in neutral and spin the input prop (intermediate prop) to see what sounds you get from it. drain the oil and see whats stuck on the magnetic plug (but check that the filler plug can be undone before draining it!)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
13 Apr 2018 06:54 #191649 by Busta
The CV joints are only turning when you're in 4wd, so unless you are using 4wd on the road it won't be that.
I've never heard of a tooth in the gearbox chipping.
When my transfer case chain stretched and started skipping teeth it was quite loud and shook the whole car. It happened when pulling away and on hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd.

• G-rae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2018 19:51 #191669 by G-rae
Replied by G-rae on topic clunking noise only from take-off
not quite into this computer technology stuff, my screen tells me I'm responding to 'Busta' (which I am, but also responding to Riccy....... but hey..........I'm hoping you'll both be able to read if interested). To Riccy, if I was who I dreamed I could be, I would take your advice to the 't' and do the test you advise. I unfortunately don't have much joy when doing things myself mechanically and therefore have learnt to take my vehicle to a 'professional' mechanic anything that only in my imaginary world would be done perfectly by myself! To 'Busta', I also had never heard of a tooth chip in the gearbox making this kind of noise hence me starting this post. Any rough figures on how much this thing will cost me to have fixed? How much time do think I have before I may get this brown trouser moment!!!!!!

More
13 Apr 2018 22:06 #191671 by Busta
Transfer cases are cheap and it only takes a couple of hours to swap. I drove for a few hundred miles before changing mine. If it's slipping out won't fail catastrophically, it will just possibly get worse until you can't move. I took mine apart afterwards and aside from the chain being stretched everything was in good order.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds