BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Thoughts on this 4-link rear idea?

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Apr 2018 17:15 #191145 by Riccy
admin.ecommerce.aruba.it/epages/103626.s.../%224link%20jimny%22

This is a kit to make the rear axle 4-link (with panhard rod still, so I guess 5-link maybe?).

I looks like there is a load more flex available from the pics of it fitted to a car, but next to no info about it on the website. Google search reveals similar looking stuff on alibaba, etc, but no European sellers apart from the link.

Interested in peoples thoughts on it as a kit...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 17:50 #191147 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Thoughts on this 4-link rear idea?
For that kind of money I'd go for a properly built 3 link instead. Those bolt-on kits usually aren't worth the money at all.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
02 Apr 2018 06:58 #191166 by Riccy
OK Thanks, I will look into it a bit more.

The thing that worries me about this kit is that it bolts to a part of the chassis that wasnt designed to have stress loads there, possibly resulting in a snapped chassis at an inconvenient moment!

Any suggestions for 3-link designs?

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 07:36 - 03 Apr 2018 07:37 #191217 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Thoughts on this 4-link rear idea?
A 3 link design is pretty basic, but you still need to put a few thoughts into the geometry.

But perhaps get in touch with someone who has some experience? Redacted perhaps :)

I think it's overkill unless you want to go for coilovers or airshocks though :)

These guys sells different 3 and 4 link kits. It's great stuff, so not cheap :)
But no matter what gives you a good idea about what's what.
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3LINK.html
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 07:37 by TomDK.

More
03 Apr 2018 13:12 #191226 by X8GGY
Isn't there enough articulation to be tweaked out of the "stock" suspension? -

B)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
03 Apr 2018 18:19 #191241 by Riccy
Thanks Tom, I had seen that company and liked the look of their stuff. Setting up the geometry properly is the biggest thing, hence looking at kits, rather than trying to design from scratch. Redacted is a great guy to talk to about it.

Its more of a pipe dream for another vehicle project in the future rather than something actually getting done anytime soon.

Dave, You are correct, its not like I struggle to get over much of anything (when its all working!). There's +5" AVO shocks in there now with the Zanfi springs & spacers its not like its short of flex. Theres always the lockers for when a wheel does lift :laugh:

More
08 Apr 2018 19:50 #191461 by kirkynut
Even with masses or articulation, by the time the spring is fully extended or dislocated, how much pressure is it pushing the tread of the tyres down with? Very little I'm guessing. So as you say, lockers are the better option. You know any wheels with traction will be moving the car forward then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 May 2018 14:03 - 13 May 2018 16:23 #192650 by Rabid Rhino
During my Sunday morning lay in surfing the net, I came across a couple of Japanese videos on youtube with this style bolt-on 4/5 link suspension kit eliminating the radius arms, which made me think of this thread.
Granted it's probably a genuine Windstyle, but the Chinese or Italian versions are just going to be exactish copies for a fraction of the price.
Recently a couple of Yankee Suzuki driving friends of mine came back from off-roading in Costa Rica where they drove a Jimny, (before I ever did !). According to them the Jimny they drove "had land rover radius arms fitted which hung down too low under the axles." Not having the Jimny out here in the US, I had to explain to them that the radius arms were/are stock. They were...... dissapointed. And it's for that perceived "land rover parts" reason that this Suzuki die hard will be fitting one of these kits to his early 1998 LHD Jimny before I'm able to bring it out here to the US in a few years time. Hopefully by then, there'll be a similar kit for the front, if there isn't one already.

You're looking for the pink owner here

Alternately, you have the linked trailing arms at 7:00 on this video. There are quite a few aftermarket kits like this for the front of jeeps, so why not the front of a Jimny with a relocated tie bar moved to the front.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Last edit: 13 May 2018 16:23 by Rabid Rhino.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds