BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How to Plug Vacuum Pipes

More
31 Mar 2018 19:12 #191102 by furo
Hi folks,

Sorry for the stupid question but I was wondering if someone could please talk me through the exact process of plugging the vacuum pipes (having fitted manual hubs). I know there have been a lot of threads on this general topic and there is a section in the wiki, but they are all a little vague and I have a pretty bad record for doing things wrong the first time round so I want to be sure I do this right.

Many thanks

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2018 20:16 #191104 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:How to Plug Vacuum Pipes
Underneath all the gubbins by the battery you will see two pipes heading off down to the axle. Block these off. Better still, again underneath everything, you will see a vacuum sensor with a small foam filter on it. Short out the pair of wires going to this sensor

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Mar 2018 21:54 #191109 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic How to Plug Vacuum Pipes

furo wrote: Hi folks,

Sorry for the stupid question but I was wondering if someone could please talk me through the exact process of plugging the vacuum pipes (having fitted manual hubs). I know there have been a lot of threads on this general topic and there is a section in the wiki, but they are all a little vague and I have a pretty bad record for doing things wrong the first time round so I want to be sure I do this right.

Many thanks

This might help a bit and I looped the tubes at the wheel hub from one union to the next in a short U shape.mostly to keep water from entering the hubs.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...ictures?limitstart=0

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
01 Apr 2018 08:30 #191122 by furo
Replied by furo on topic How to Plug Vacuum Pipes
Brilliant - thank you both.

Martin: What is the purpose of shorting the sensor? Does that turn off the 4WD light? And how did you block off those pipes exactly?

Helijohn: Did you re-use the original pipe to loop it at the hub?

Thanks again!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
01 Apr 2018 09:38 #191124 by helijohn

furo wrote: Brilliant - thank you both.

Martin: What is the purpose of shorting the sensor? Does that turn off the 4WD light? And how did you block off those pipes exactly?

Helijohn: Did you re-use the original pipe to loop it at the hub?

Thanks again!

Yes it shuts down that bloomin flashing light.
Yes I think I did reuse some or I may have used silicone pipe as it is not under pressure - it is just to keep out the moisture.
An I eventually used purchased silicone cappings for the vacuum tube in the manifold.

More
01 Apr 2018 10:59 #191130 by furo
Great thanks. Is there a way to do it so the solid 4WD light stays on when you select 4WD? I know it's less meaningful with the manual hubs, but I like the reminder that I've engaged it.

More
01 Apr 2018 11:51 #191132 by mlines
Shorting the wire means the 4wd light doesn't flash, it comes on solid when 4wd is selected. It is really needed for the push button jimny's otherwise it will never select 4wd

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 13:06 #191138 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Re:How to Plug Vacuum Pipes
Bosanek made a good article on this subject, look for it on Jimny wiki.

I removed entire vacuum system from my Jim and it works like a charm. Just shorten the vacuum sensor and unplug everything. And block the pipes on hubs as mentioned. Mine is a 2006 peteol.

More
01 Apr 2018 13:09 #191139 by furo
Martin - thank you. Mine has a manual transfer case - is shorting it still recommended?

Mraz - thank you, I did read the wiki but I just wanted to be clear as I tend to mess things up!

More
01 Apr 2018 20:10 #191152 by helijohn

furo wrote: Martin - thank you. Mine has a manual transfer case

Mine was.;)

More
01 Apr 2018 20:50 #191155 by mlines
Yes, short it and then you have a nice working 4x4 light

Martin

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2018 07:38 #191170 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic Re:How to Plug Vacuum Pipes
If you are "lucky" enough, you'll get the Jimny with the vacuum switch already with short/bridge to fool the vacuum system (mine was .... only 2wd was functional).

Sorry for the off topic, but I would recommend to add to the Jimny buyers guide, the inspection of the switch short if still has vacuum hubs.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds