BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear axle play - advice needed

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 08:21 #191009 by Mraz
Rear axle play - advice needed was created by Mraz
Hi!

So this morning I dissasembled rear drum brakes to see why my handbrake is only for decoration and noticed this. Frankly, It scared the s*** out of me. I finally started to atest my winch, suspension and tires, so last few days I was on the highway a lot and this doesn't sound safe.

What to do? Axle spins easy and no grinding or any noises from either side, but my left axle has cca.5mm play

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 08:49 #191012 by sniper
You've got to pull the half shaft and replace the bearing but you may well have damaged the splines on the diff end.

Strip down and inspect, half shafts and diff, if I were you.

Good luck.

sniper

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 09:35 - 29 Mar 2018 09:35 #191014 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Rear axle play - advice needed
What wheel bearing do I need and can it be found in SKF? Are all halfshafts the same, or should I look for specific manufacturing date? My Jimny is '06.

Suzuki parts are rare and expensive here, so I'll be lucky to find a halfshaft from an older Jimny - there are some 2002-2004 Jimnys for parts, would that work?
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 09:35 by Mraz.

More
29 Mar 2018 09:47 #191016 by sniper
Bearings are available through the bigjimny shop.

If you have no choice, I think the bearings are the same on all years, using a secondhand one is not good........

Don't forget to inspect the diff, at least clean and change the diff oil.

sniper

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 11:07 #191022 by Mraz
I was thinking of used half-axle, not bearing.

I've changed the oil not long ago, it's done les than 1k kilometers since then. Oil was relatively clean with no metal residue, and no oil was missing. That's what confuses me, if the bearing is destroyed whay isn't it leaking oil? It turns freely, no rubbing or scratching, no side-to-side play, only front to back.

But than again, I've never dissasembled the axle so don't really know how it all works and what actually holds the half-shaft in place.

More
29 Mar 2018 11:44 #191024 by Velocette
That looks more like end float than bearing damage. Check that the bearing location system is not damaged. It would explain why there is no oil leak at it appears that the whole bearing is moving slightly rather than the inner moving in relation to the outer which you would get with a collapsing bearing.

More
29 Mar 2018 12:41 #191025 by mlines
The bearing retainer may have moved on the shaft? If so then it needs a new bearing

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 14:27 #191028 by Mraz
I ordered new bearing kit from SKF and tomorrow morning when it arrives I'll start taking the thing apart.

I hope it's a cheap fix (only bearing), after winch and damper and new rim&tire and atesting and brake pads and bearing I'm kinda broke :)

More
29 Mar 2018 17:31 #191030 by mlines
Also note that the bearing has a built in spacer so it only goes on one way around. Thinking about it, if it's previously been fitted the wrong way round it might give the effect you are seeing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Mar 2018 17:50 #191031 by Riccy
I have more or less the same problem and symptoms. From the strip down its wheel bearings for me (and the full axle is off for a cleanup and some strengthening plates here and there).

This is from the manual:

and this is what it was like once taken apart...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 19:17 - 29 Mar 2018 19:18 #191032 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Re:Rear axle play - advice needed
I'll be smarter tomorrow when I take it apart.

Thanks guys!
Last edit: 29 Mar 2018 19:18 by Mraz.

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2018 20:24 #191065 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Re:Rear axle play - advice needed
So, what I hoped will be an easx fix ended up almost as a axle rebuild.

Handbrake cable seized and overheated the pads and brake cylinder wich binded. And since this things should be changed in pairs, I'm replacing both bearings, both cylindees, both handbrake cables and pads. Oil was clean and only a bit darker than new. Half-axle splines are a-ok.

Now comes the fun part, removing the ABS ring without damage.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds